PDA

View Full Version : Triple Red Cacs Have Babies

Apistoguy
Sun Apr 11, 2010, 08:49 AM
Hi all

Pleased to announce the emergence of a very healthy sized batch of fry, looks to be 50+. I recently purchased 4 Triple Red females from a forum member and put them in with my lone male, that was 2 weeks ago and now I have one new mum. Have moved the others into another tank for now and it looks like there will be more on the way. Have put a a pic of the new parents, and some of the other 3 females.Will put up some fry pics when i can get a good shot of them at closer range.

Hassles
Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:57 PM
Congratulations on your newly emerged spawn. I myself have often had spawns shortly after acquisition - its all sorta' exciting at times eh?

what are the water parameters in which the fish have bred ?

take care

kristina
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 03:54 AM
congrats ApistoGuy!!! happen to have any microworms?? :D

swampy1972
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 04:06 AM
Congrats.. they're amazing looking fish!

Apistoguy
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:53 PM
Congratulations on your newly emerged spawn. I myself have often had spawns shortly after acquisition - its all sorta' exciting at times eh?

what are the water parameters in which the fish have bred ?

take care

Thanks Hassles

Water parameters are: Ph 6.5

Gh 89.5 ppm

Kh 53.7 ppm

Temp 26 c

cheers Apistoguy

Apistoguy
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:57 PM
congrats ApistoGuy!!! happen to have any microworms?? :D

Thanks Kristina

No microworms, but I can get hold of vinegar eel cultures.

cheers Apistoguy

Apistoguy
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 02:58 PM
Congrats.. they're amazing looking fish!

Thanks Swampy1972

jluna
Mon Apr 12, 2010, 09:51 PM
great colours on that brooding female! lovely looking fish, all of them.

steph
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 03:44 AM
Congrats on the spawn apistoguy more babies is always exciting!

Cheers

Steph

jluna
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 03:52 AM
p.s., apistoguy, the first picture, labelled female one, is surely a male?? no black in the pectorals, extreme colour in all fins...

Hassles
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 10:04 AM
p.s., apistoguy, the first picture, labelled female one, is surely a male?? no black in the pectorals, extreme colour in all fins...

Apologies Apistoguy for butting in but....it is not unheard of for cacatuoides females to develop androngynous traits such as red in their fins and slight anterior extention of theor dorsal fins and yes, without a very clear image they can be mistaken for a male. Obviously these traits will be passed on to their off-spring and some truly pretty fish will result. Oh by the way, these androngynous traits aparentlty 'never' occur in the wild but can occur in aquarium strains.

take care

Apistoguy
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 12:40 PM

Hi

She is definately a female, I have watched the behaviour of these cacs with the lone male and they all display the courting ritual and colour change. Its the most colourful of the 4 females and I can see why she could be mistaken for a male.

jluna
Thu Apr 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
wow, she's the prettiest girl i've ever seen... kinda like those thai lady-boys... :lol:

kristina
Thu Apr 15, 2010, 10:51 AM
Lady-boys?? If ur talkin about chicks that used to have dicks I haven't seen any Thai ones, but I've seen a few from Tasmania and none of them are good lookin!!!! Hahahaha!

Apistoguy
Mon May 17, 2010, 03:20 PM
Hi all

Pleased to announce the emergence of a very healthy sized batch of fry, looks to be 50+. I recently purchased 4 Triple Red females from a forum member and put them in with my lone male, that was 2 weeks ago and now I have one new mum. Have moved the others into another tank for now and it looks like there will be more on the way. Have put a a pic of the new parents, and some of the other 3 females.Will put up some fry pics when i can get a good shot of them at closer range.

Cacatuoide fry now 5 weeks old.

Gh0StFaC3
Tue Jun 29, 2010, 04:15 AM
Congrats !!

Let me know if you decide to sell some when they're a bit older.
Would love one for my tank. :)