PDA

View Full Version : OF cac spawn!!

kristina
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 01:18 AM
Woo Hoo! I'm so pleased to announce the emergence of Orange Flash cac fry. Trio in display 6ft and one female in particular has been courting for a while. I hadn't expected anything to come from it but found free swimming fry just now! Couldn't get any pictures as I have a crap camera and could barely see them myself. Must be about 20-30 of them that I can see.
pH 7.0
temp 27
I'll get more tests done throughout the day...
mother protecting fry. Father being courted by other female on other side of the tank.

I am in dire need of a microworm starter culture if anyone in Southern Sydney has some... I wasn't expecting fry for some days yet and definitely not from the cacs. Let me know :D

steph
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 07:10 AM
Hey Kristina

Congrats on the spawn, thats great news. I find my fry in a heavily planted tank do well on all the micro organisms that occur in the tank naturally. Of course some extra food doesnt go astray.

BTW I tried before Easter to get a MW culture from a shop, and they said the supplier was out totally, havent followed up since then.

Well done,

Cheers

Steph

kristina
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 07:30 AM
Unfortunately there are only fake plants in the 6ft they occupy. I'd be more inclined to not care so much if I knew there was more food supply for them in the tank but I know there isn't.

rex82
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 08:00 AM
brine shrimp?

kristina
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 08:30 AM
Yes brine shrimp is an option. Microworms are just cheaper, less effort and tend to reproduce by themselves with little work on my behalf. I'm still looking for microworms if anyone has some available... I really only need a teaspoon of the critters to get a culture booming.

I have 3 food options for their feeding tonight: 1- frozen BBS 2- luiqifry 3- flake crushed into a paste. Hubby will distract the other fish with their food while I get up on the ladder and go scuba diving to syringe the cac food to them. Otherwise the fish will swarm around me and give the mum a hard time protecting fry while they try to get the food...

swampy1972
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 01:32 PM
Kristina,
Good news on the fry, I look forward to pics.
Have a look back through some of the older ads on Petlink. There was a guy regularly MW for a few $ plus a couple of $ shipping from Newcastle.
Have you considered some of the other commercial fry starters? I think NLS (New Life Spectrum) does a very good one.
HTH

kristina
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
Thanks swampy will try to find the thread your talkin about. I'm not sure if posting worms always works. I've heard some stories about packages that don't get delivered because of the contents...

I haven't seen any fry food at any of the local aquariums around these parts. I'll google it. I mean they have liquifry and if I want to do a bit of driving I can get my hands on brine eggs but that's it!

Either way thanks for the suggestions and I hope to get some decent pics soon. I got pics but the fry are so small and the camera so lame that you literally can't see them.

jluna
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 10:42 PM
good luck with the fry - can you set up a fry trap in the tank and syphon them up? it's awful watching fry be decimated in a community tank...

kristina
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 11:03 PM
I'm not too worried about the fry being picked off. I've taken out all dithers but the female still has to defend against about a dozen discus and 2 sailfin plecos approx 10cm each. In all honesty I'm surprised there are fry there at all and this is their first batch so i'm just going to do the best I can without intervening and see how things go. If the fry don't survive I will consider setting up another tank for the female and introduce the male for spawning.

For the moment the fry are doing good and don't seem to be dropping in numbers. Mum is protecting them well.

Hassles
Sun Apr 11, 2010, 12:52 PM
G'day Kristina

Please allow me to join others above and offer you congratulations. My personal experiences with Orange-Flash haven't been wonderful as far as survival rates are concerned so I shall be interested to see how things pan out as they say.

I hope your A.bitaeniata follow suit and breed for you soon.

take care

Apistoguy
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 01:05 PM
Woo Hoo! I'm so pleased to announce the emergence of Orange Flash cac fry. Trio in display 6ft and one female in particular has been courting for a while. I hadn't expected anything to come from it but found free swimming fry just now! Couldn't get any pictures as I have a crap camera and could barely see them myself. Must be about 20-30 of them that I can see.
pH 7.0
temp 27
I'll get more tests done throughout the day...
mother protecting fry. Father being courted by other female on other side of the tank.

I am in dire need of a microworm starter culture if anyone in Southern Sydney has some... I wasn't expecting fry for some days yet and definitely not from the cacs. Let me know :D

Congratulations Kristina, hope all goes well with the fry.

cheers Wayne

kristina
Tue Apr 13, 2010, 09:14 PM
Well fry numbers are slowly dropping and I suspect it is due to predators in the tank... The tank is filthy with pleco poo (surprise surprise) but I'm leaving the tank alone and just doing small daily water changes from sump to keep the water fresh. The fry that have survived are doing great and starting to show minds of their own against their mothers wishes, which would support my theory they are getting picked off.

As the first female is busy with fry the second has had time to grab the males attention and she is in yellow dress - no fry seen from her yet. Far out I'll be stunned if she comes out with fry! After so long of nothing, all the fish are into it in the same week! If the trifasciata get in the game that will be the whole lot of them!