PDA

View Full Version : Flowerhorns and Geo's

AHC
Fri Mar 26, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hi

I have been keeping discus for around 4 years now and have been slowly thinking about changing to another south American. Not that I am over Discus. Far from it. Since i have made the move to Discus from a community tank, i have never looked back... well now im kind of looking sideways - until i get my own house to keep lots of tanks anyway.

I guess the curious side of me is urging for a change to keep things new and exciting.

So I am interested in hearing other peoples thoughts?

At the moment, my feeling is to go the hyrid flowerhorn or the other SA beauty, Geo's. None of which I have kept before.

I will be using my 780L with 2 x 2080's.

If i go the flowerhorn, id like to get 2. To keep the tank busy. But then there is the territory issues. So id aim for a female and male - would that decrease the risk? Is my tank big enough to keep 2 without problems? Guess thats one for the flowerhorn experts.

Or should i go Geo's instead?

Im 60% Flowerhorn minded, 40% Geo's.

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 26, 2010, 05:36 AM
GO GEOS' MUCH EASIER, flower horns will kill each other Geo's you can have a nice2 or even 3 pairs in your tank, drop on over and check out my geo tank sometime.

Mr Wild
Fri Mar 26, 2010, 06:11 AM
Jothy
How much water does each geo need? I have a 600litre tank with 12 discus and after QT I want to put some 13cm geos in with them. I am buying 8 in the hope of some natural pairing then I will sell the others on.

I can leave all the geos together in the 400litre but would like some with my discus.

Cheers Kath

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 26, 2010, 06:30 AM
they're a big fish roughly double size of a discus once grown so budget 80L/fish.

if you get juvies you could easily tripple that just remember to move them on once they hit the 7-8 inch mark or so.

as for discus i've never mixed them but they get on great with angels. males can get a little rough when a female is ready to breed though.

swampy1972
Fri Mar 26, 2010, 11:33 AM
Sorry, Geo's??

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 26, 2010, 12:18 PM
Geo's

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31

ivo
Sat Mar 27, 2010, 11:56 PM
Hi Aaron, I will go for flowerhorn. They have so much personality for
a fish n extremely hardy. They are like a pet dog fish if u know what I mean.

AHC
Sun Mar 28, 2010, 10:00 PM
hmmm yeah it is a tough choice for me I think. Geo's for ease and interest, flowerhorn for fun and interest.

Much to think of i think! :roll:

Thanks for your input guys. :wink: