PDA

View Full Version : Hey Guys new to this forum few questions

haz_10
Wed Mar 17, 2010, 12:23 PM
Guys,

Just starting discus after a succesful run of breeding tropheus ilangi. I have a few questions if you guys dont mind.

1. I want to start a tank almost immediately and i was wondering if i use media from a malawi/tang tank that runs on ph of 8.2, would this bacteria still be able to survive and do its job in water of 6.5 (which i intend to keep my discus at).

2. These are the items i have purchased
a. Seachem Prime
b. Seachem Discus Buffer
c. NLS Discus Pellets
Anything else you guys would recommend for discus or is that sufficient.

3. What would you guys prefer in a breeding setup sponge or corner filters.

I would really appreciate some help on these topics and i would like to be an active member on these forums

Thanks Guys!!

Haz

Hollowman
Wed Mar 17, 2010, 02:23 PM
Try to walk before you run is the very best advice to give.

Use the search facility, you will find answers to all your questions, they have been answered many times.
Also, too many people fuss way too much about discus.
Make sure they have stable conditions, whether that be at a ph of 8 or 5. Give them a varied diet of good quality food, not just granular. Read up on BB tanks if you are getting smaller fish. Get your fish from one trusted supplier in one go. A group of 4+ is good, never 3 or 1 fish. Do lots of regular water changes, and so on and so on...........

Too much to tell you in a nut-shell. research and read posts and ask. But please don't rush in before you know what you are doing, it can mean a very costly mistake right off the bat!!!

hth
H

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:18 PM
1. No you'll have to recycle your media.
2. this will be fine to get you started i'd also sugest a GOOD PH pen, and calibration solutions, some frozen beefheart mix.
3. sponges are the best fry dont get sucked in or trapped and the sponge provides heaps of mech filtration and a good amount of bio, remember with breeding your relying on water changes to keep up the quality with massive feeding, not on the filter to break down the waste.

haz_10
Wed Mar 17, 2010, 10:35 PM
Thanks Guys,

Hollow man, i have taken your advice and started to do some research very informative website.

Illusn, thanks for the reply.

1. i understand, i did get a similar responce from another person that if you do frequent water changes ammonia will not get to a high level where your filters have their work cut out for them.

But obviously you still require a cycled media in there, the guy im buying the discus from said he would give me a pad from his sump. Being that i dont want to go through a whole cycle do you think wraping the pad around a new sponge filter would be sufficeit for bacterial transfer.

2. I will get beef heart aswell, the guy im buying them from only feeds beef heart, whats your thoughts on brime shrimp as a treat?

Thanks for you help really appreciate it.

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 17, 2010, 11:38 PM
brine shrimp is fine for a treat but nutritionally isn't that rich, if your going to feed brine shrimp feed them up on spirolina powder first (they will turn green in the middle) to make them into a VERY nutricious meal.

Hollowman
Wed Mar 17, 2010, 11:40 PM
Short cuts are never a good idea, I dont like the wrapping thing. You really need to know you have good filtration before you start. As I said, before, you should never rush this.

Ammonia should never be a problem with a mature filter system, you should never be aiming to reduce ammonia with a water change, I never have any ammonia before a water change because my filter is working. Your reading for ammonia should always be zero.
The point of water changing is to reduce organics, parasites and bacteria in the water, as well as getting rid of faeces and uneaten food. Most of us will advise at least a 30% volume water change at least twice a week, breeders in Asia are doing 100% changes twice a day.

Feeding beefheart only is not advisable either imo, feed varied foods, granular, flake, mussels, brine shrimp, (live or frozen) Aussi black worms, frozen irradiated blood worms etc etc. Feeding on one food is like us eating pasta at every meal, you would soon get bored and fussy. Discus are the same, they get fussy, they also have favorites like us too, which you can use as treats if you like.

hth

H :)