PDA

View Full Version : Are discus for me?

azman
Tue Mar 16, 2010, 01:48 AM
Hi

I'm looking to start a 4x2x2 planted (low tech) discus (4 or 5 discus probably juvies) tank with cory's, 'root' style wood, large amazon swords and some sandy areas for the cories with a ehiem 2217 with diy spray bar for filtration. But I'm really not sure if discus are for me. I have the time to look after the water on a regular basis etc but don't want to jeopardise the health of my scaly friends - some people say they are hard to keep and some say they are easy. And I see a lot of posts about fish being skittish and dying of unknown reasons.

Or why did you get into discus? what about them do you enjoy?

thanks
aaron

m.ingram
Tue Mar 16, 2010, 02:23 AM
Hi azman
The only person that can answer that question is you.
Discus require very clean water conditions. You need to do at least 30% to 40% water change twice a week, some do this every second day.

With a planted set up like you have i would go for adults rather then juvies .Juvies are better off in a bare bottom tank where you can feed them 4 or 5 times a day with daily water changes to grow them out to there full potentual.

Discus dont die for no reason .they only die if they have a something wrong with them i.e diesese or they are living in poor water conditions .

Read as much from this forum as you can ask alot of questions as there are alot of people here willing to help you .

swampy1972
Tue Mar 16, 2010, 02:57 AM
You'll get 1000 opinions about frequently and how many % of water you need to change. I do 50% water once a week due to my work commitments and my Discus are all happy, healthy and pairing off to breed.
I guess as long as you keep up good routine for water, and use quality food after A LOT OF HOMEWORK you'll be fine.
The point about juvies vs adults is correct. To grow them to their best, juvies need a lot of food and even more clean water. Maybe try sub-adult.
Good luck :wink: