PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Chain Loach Question

vanessa messig
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had huge success in keeping dwarf chain loaches with discus. They are absolutely delightful and a joy to watch in the discus tank and I have kept them for a while now starting with 10 and now they are diminishing very quickly and I only have 2 left. I originally bought them to get rid of the snails, which they did very well and there are no snails left in the tank at all. I have since been feeding them a variety of foods including frozen brine shrimp, which they love and other discus food left overs which also include freeze dried black worms.

All my other fish are healthy and doing well, I am just not sure what is going on with the chain loaches. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I am not sure whether to buy some more as they should be kept in larger numbers.
Cheers,
:(

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 11:00 PM
They like cooler water, mine spawn at 23C-24C they never did well at temps above 26C (always died off one by one)

vanessa messig
Sat Mar 13, 2010, 11:49 AM
Thanks for your advice Illusn, I would love to see them spawn!

I have turned the temp. in the discus tank down a little to 27.5C but I guess the temp should not be much lower for the discus. I have also bought another 4 chains which are now in the quarantine tank.

Cheers,

ILLUSN
Sat Mar 13, 2010, 01:14 PM
unfortunately the yoyo's corry's and bristlenoses get to the eggs before the camera does last tiem they vere eating them as they left the female.

vanessa messig
Sun Mar 14, 2010, 10:55 AM
What a pity!! Thats what happened with my discus... one was laying the eggs on a leaf and another was sucking them right up behind her!
Apparently breeding chain loaches is a rare event, they are supposedly very hard to breed in captivity. Perhaps I will keep them in the quarantine tank for bit longer and see what happens :)