PDA

View Full Version : keepin discus in adelaide

Benno
Mon Mar 08, 2010, 06:52 AM
Hey guys been thinking about setting up a discus tank finally and was wondering if the adelaide tap water for discus is any good for keeping discus? and also what keepers treat there tap water with before using it on theyre tanks? as im aware they are a rather delicate fish. Im also wondering if it is so impoartant to try and re-create amazon style conditions or do the tank bred strains seem to accept a wider range of parametres? Im figuring if i can keep the tank clean and warm with the water parametres pretty stable they should be fine, i will also being 2x 30% water changes a week and having 2x cannister filters running on my 4 foot tank as this is what i have always done keeping larger american cichlids. Just a few questions im hoping can be answereed as id love to own these fish, have tried in the past with some success but then had to offload a few tanks and the discus had to go. Thanks in advance. Ben

swampy1972
Mon Mar 08, 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure about Adelaide water specifically but if you can achieve soft water with a ph around 6, temp 28-30C with 0 ammonia or nitrite you'll be fine.
Your best bet would be to source your fish locally and speak with the breeder at length about their conditions and water care.
HTH

bartras
Fri Mar 12, 2010, 10:19 PM
I’ve been keeping Discus in Adelaide water for several years now without any major problems. I use Prime to remove the chlorine and that’s it. I have only ever bought Discus that were bread in Adelaide water though, I can’t comment on how the imported fish go in it when they arrive.