PDA

View Full Version : Unwell Eartheater

JamezMan
Sun Mar 07, 2010, 04:03 AM
Hello, over the last couple of days my 15cm 'Orange Head' Geophagus hasn't been looking the best and I am a little concerned about her. She appears to have some sort of infection on the lefthand side of her mouth/jaw area and I am not sure whether it came about from fighting or whether she has caught some sort of illness. I haven't had too many sick fish in my time keeping fish and I am not really sure what it is and what I should do about it. I have posted some pics (sorry about the quality, the camera I was using was pretty ordinary) of her along with my post and any information or ideas for treatment would be a great help.

P.S. The tank is a 4x2x2 footer and she is housed amongst other Geophagus. The tank is clean and the ammonia is 0ppm and the nitrate is 40ppm. I do a 30% water change on the tank per week and all the other fish are in great shape.

Thanks alot.

Mr Wild
Sun Mar 07, 2010, 11:52 AM
I am no expert but I would up the water changes to keep the water pristine and add some salt to try and help the fish heal herself before throwing in any medications. JMO. HTH.

Kath

JamezMan
Tue Mar 09, 2010, 12:55 AM
Okie dokes, thanks for the info Kath. I'll increase the water changes and add some salt.

JamezMan
Fri Mar 12, 2010, 02:48 AM
Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with her? It appears to be getting worse as time goes on and I would like to isolate her but I don't have a spare tank I could use. Does anyone think it might be contagious?

Thanks

lpiasente
Fri Mar 12, 2010, 08:51 PM
You can use a plastic tub with a heater and an airstone (if you don't have a spare cycled filter) just keep up with the water changes. I rarely use meds just a kath said salt and very very clean water, Maybe it's time to add some meds but I am sorry to say I'm not the best with meds advice I think maybe tetracycline could be the one ?? Can't really get a good look at the problem. Is it a hole or a lump?? I would be taking her out just in case and treat her on her own. Good luck

JamezMan
Sat Mar 13, 2010, 02:54 AM
Thanks for your reply Ipiasente. It's more of a hole that is getting larger by the day unfortunately. After some thought I think I will isolate her in a plastic tub, keep an eye on her in there and dose with some salt. What type of salt do you use? Is it just table salt or is there a special type and how much do you think I should use?

Also, I have been reading up on fish illnesses and from what I have read it looks a bit like either 'hole in the head' disease or 'gill flukes'. I am no expert but she is breathing heavily and the wound is on her gill/jaw area, which are both symptoms of gill flukes.

lpiasente
Sat Mar 13, 2010, 05:52 AM
mmm not sure what it could be but sounds good to put her in her own tub and add salt I think this would really help. I use rock salt. if it doesn't seem to be getting betterin a few days then I think tetracycline could be the go. ?? If anyone else thinks something else please drop in this is what I would do though.

JamezMan
Sun Mar 14, 2010, 04:25 AM
How much salt do you think I should dose?

Hollowman
Sun Mar 14, 2010, 09:05 AM
I dont want to state the obvious, but there must be forums dedicated to this species of fish that can help you with specific help. I know nothing of these fish, only discus. I am sure there are similarities with many fish, but I would hate to guess and kill your fish.

Good luck though James

JamezMan
Mon Mar 15, 2010, 07:12 AM
That's a fair point hollowman. The main reason I posted on here was because I visit this forum pretty regularly and have got good information from here in the past. I have just registered with the 'cichlid forum' and am waiting on an email from them, so when that account is up and running I'll post a topic on there. I tried to register with 'www.eartheaters.com', which would probably be the best place to ask, but the site is having some problems and it wouldn't allow me to.

Anyways thanks for your help Ipiasente. ;)

Hollowman
Mon Mar 15, 2010, 09:45 AM
I just wanted you to get the very best help from those who deal with these fish everyday James. I know they guys here are very good and knowledgable of course, but if you buy a Ford, you go to a Ford dealer :lol:

I hope you find the remedy soon :wink:

lpiasente
Mon Mar 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
Yep steve you are right different fish require different treatment. I was thinking more of treatments I have used on my Bettas not discus. I would be interested in knowing what it is when you find out Jamez let me know.
Cheers
Leanne

JamezMan
Mon Mar 15, 2010, 10:33 AM
Yeah you are right Steve. I appreciate your replies.

When I find out what the problem is I will put it up on here and let you know what action I have taken aswell Ipiasente.

Thanks again. ;)

lpiasente
Thu Apr 01, 2010, 04:46 AM
how did you go??

JamezMan
Sat Apr 03, 2010, 02:27 AM
G'day there.

I ended up isolating the little girl and after talking to an experienced bloke here in Bris we concluded that the mark that she had on her face was most likely a superficial wound, that she picked up maybe in a fight or by running into some driftwood, which had got infected, rather than 'hole in the head disease' as we first thought. So we dosed her hospital tank with a decent amount of salt and left her in there for about 10 days or so. After that time I took her out to have a look at her face and the wound had healed about 95% and she looked great. So I put her back in my display tank a couple of days ago and it is as if she never left. She looks very energetic and bright and is mixing with all the other fish very well and her wound is just about unnoticeable now.

So things have turned out good thankfully and thanks for your replies guys and your insight into the situation.

Cheers :)

Luke.

lpiasente
Sat Apr 03, 2010, 05:00 AM
excellent news :thumb

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Apr 03, 2010, 09:11 AM
I just wanted you to get the very best help from those who deal with these fish everyday James. I know they guys here are very good and knowledgable of course, but if you buy a Ford, you go to a Ford dealer :lol:

Thats incorrect. If you buy a Ford, you go to a Holden dealer and trade it in. :D

Hollowman
Sat Apr 03, 2010, 09:50 AM

Thats incorrect. If you buy a Ford, you go to a Holden dealer and trade it in. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like a happy ending :wink:

JamezMan
Sun May 30, 2010, 03:08 AM
G'day guys. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this little guy is ill again. I just noticed today that one of his eyes are really swollen and it looks really bad. What do you think I can do about it? Should I isolate him?

Thanks for your help.

Hollowman
Sun May 30, 2010, 09:53 AM
Yes,

Sounds like a water quality problem. Got to keep on top of your water quality/changes.

JamezMan
Sun May 30, 2010, 11:40 AM
Yes,

Sounds like a water quality problem. Got to keep on top of your water quality/changes.Okie dokes. Well the water quality in this tank is good mate. I do a 40% change on it per week and the nitrates don't get much higher than 30ppm at the end of the week. The tank is well filtered and every other fish in the tank is doing great. I thought it might of been water quality too but I've tested the water a few times and it's all good.