sideshow
Sat Mar 06, 2010, 02:43 AM
just been having a closer look
its more of a dark shading
i remember it happening to another white discus we had

is it the water or maybe even the food that can chage the colour of their skin

blackwater spa
Sat Mar 06, 2010, 03:55 AM
If the discus is a Pigeon Blood derived strain, it could be peppering. One theory is that with the Pigeon Blood mutation, the vertical bars were removed, but the potential for the pigments to be expressed remains, only there are no longer localized in the form of vertical bars anymore, but can be expressed anywhere on the fish's body. It is very common for Pigeon Blood derived discus to show peppering and the fish remains a healthy fish. Unfortunately, once the fish shows peppering, the peppering might lessen in intensity but it doesn't go away. There are some theories on how to try and reduce the development of peppering, including avoiding dark backgrounds and substrates. The theory is that the fish express the dark pigments to try and camouflage with its surroundings. It is also possible that stress can bring out the onset of peppering. The best way to avoid peppering is to buy a fish from some of the newer strains being developed, where breeders have worked hard to minimize peppering.

sideshow
Sat Mar 06, 2010, 04:56 AM
ok thanks

it does look like pepper doesnt it

i was just curious as maybe its their diet or water
i have lights on no more than 7 hours a day
ill just make sure the light is bright to give them colour