PDA

View Full Version : A.huascar

Hassles
Fri Feb 26, 2010, 11:06 AM
Very soon I shall be able to provide Apistogramma huascar to those with an interest. The fry are growing wonderfully and realidly consume a variery of dry foods, frozen shrimp and live blackworms.

To keep this fish you will require soft water with a PH below 5 and the absence of humic acids (eg: no driftwood tannis or rotting leaf litter). driftwood is fine as long as it is no longer staining the water.

Ideally this means a fine sand substrate (that won't effect water chemistry) and a blend of filtered water and dechlorianted tap water.

Anyone with an interest can feel free to contact me at their leisure.

take care

Hassles
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 11:27 AM
As of today another spawn of A.huascar have emerged (see image elsewhere). I have uploaded an image of the original brood for your consideration. As I am not aware of anyone else in the country keeping this specie I think it would be great for others to do so. I have some keen interest locally (Apisto keeper with 40+ years experience) and announce here - A.huascar - ready to leave home :wink:

its still a bit difficult to determine general gender ratios but I am confident of a good mix.

gingerbeer01
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 11:48 AM
bugger - they grew big quick how big as I reckon they are only two months old.

What are yu doing there - it is working big time.....

Hassles
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 12:09 PM
bugger - they grew big quick how big as I reckon they are only two months old.

What are yu doing there - it is working big time.....

The A.huascar fry emerged on November 6th - thats 4 months now. Whats scares me is that their old enough to be gettin' up to shenanigans - which is the last thing I need right now.

Here in Melbourne we have excellent tap water, we always have, so its quite simple to modify it to suit the needs of your fish. A varied diet helps too, live & frozen foods coupled with an array of dry foods. regular water changes and hey presto - trouble :wink:

I just used enough filtered water blended with the tap water to get the PH below 5 - thats all I did. Well I guess I also ensured no humic acids were present (all driftwood was old) and I used sand as a substrate. I have a lot of water sprite floating which makes them feel secure and also assists to absorb some nitrates.

Robdog
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 12:24 PM
As I am not aware of anyone else in the country keeping this specie I think it would be great for others to do so.

I'm yet to see a picture of A. huascar (as far as google images can find)that would tempt me away from any other apisto on this or any other forum. IMO they are quite drab as far as apisto's go. Only my opinion and if you have any pics of stunning males then I'm willing to be stood corrected. :wink:

Hassles
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 04:48 AM
As I am not aware of anyone else in the country keeping this specie I think it would be great for others to do so.

I'm yet to see a picture of A. huascar (as far as google images can find)that would tempt me away from any other apisto on this or any other forum. IMO they are quite drab as far as apisto's go. Only my opinion and if you have any pics of stunning males then I'm willing to be stood corrected. :wink:

I reckon you might see an image of dad in the photo section 'dwarf cichlid photos...page 3

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/files/a-huascar_male.jpg

or

http://apisto.sites.no/fish.aspx?fishIndexID=2381&gruppeID=1'

take care