PDA

View Full Version : Discus Fry with Ich

purplefishtail
Thu Feb 25, 2010, 12:21 AM
After a year or so of trying to get it right, I've finally gotten my first batch of fry. They've been free swimming for about 11 days now and yesterday evening I came home to discover that Ich has run rampant in their tank. Almost all the babies have a handful of little white spots on them now. The parents have a few spots as well, but the babies are definitely taking it worse. I lost three of the babies while I was at work today, which is more dead fry than I've seen in total since they started swimming.

I'm wondering what treatments would be best to try with them. Raised the tank temp to 89F (31.7C) over the course of the night (it was 83-84F), but should I also add salt or some med to the water? I fear the salt or any meds might be too strong for the babies but not getting rid of this Ich soon would probably be worse. Thoughts?

There's probably around 60 fry and the two parents in a 30 gallon. I do 90% water changes once or twice a day with 50/50 RO and tap. The pH is about 7 and the TDS is just over 200. I'm out of Nitrate tests, so I can't tell you what that's at until I run to the store, but considering we do a lot of water changing and only feed bbs only a couple times a day, I doubt nitrates are too high.

Please help me save my little baby discus!

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 25, 2010, 03:29 AM
salt is the safest med for discus fry add it at 1tsp/20L and keep the temp up, also up your airation

purplefishtail
Thu Mar 04, 2010, 05:53 AM
Followed your advice, raised the temp up to 91.5 and added salt, and it looks like the Ich is on its way out. I'm planning on treating for another week or so to make sure. Unfortunately we lost probably 50 babies, only 15 or so are left. Guess I'll know better to keep an eye out for it on this pair's next batch.

ILLUSN
Thu Mar 04, 2010, 06:12 AM
add more airation those temps wont kill fry unless there isn't enough oxygen in the water.