PDA

View Full Version : Stomach Bulged & Breathing Unusually

tppramod
Tue Feb 23, 2010, 09:10 AM
Dear All

i have introduced 3 pairs of discuss (2 inch size) 2 weeks back to my planted tank. Though all discus have still not started taking food (BHM) are active and in good health except one. The one which is not active remain in a corner or between leafs and moves very slowly and often hit against plants and side walls as if it cannot see them.

After looking carefully i have noticed that its stomach is bulged and slightly pointed on both sides and is breathing unusually than the existing ones. I have noticed this only last week. What is wrong!.

Other than the newly introduced discus i have 1 existing pair (Over 6 Months) of Red Melon which are eating normally and are healthy.

Tank Details:
Size: 3.5 Ft x 1.5 Ft x 2.0 Ft (LxBxH)
Type: Planted (3 Year+)
Lighting: 75W x 2
Photoperiod: 8 Hrs.
Pressurised CO2
Water Change: Alternative Days (50%)

Fish Details:
Discus - Red Maps: 2 Nos.
Discus - Leapord: 2 Nos.
Discus - Blue Diamond 2 Nos.
Discus - Red Melon: 2 Nos.

Heliqueen: 6 Nos.
Sarpae Tetra: 6 Nos.
Red Eye Tetra: 4 Nos.
Ottos: 10 Nos.
Shrimps: Plenty

Hollowman
Tue Feb 23, 2010, 10:03 AM
Without proper quarentine you are looking for trouble straight away. New fish should be observed for several weeks, wormed and cleaned before introducing a sacrificial lamb to the new group and abserved again for a period of time.
You may have introduced a disease or infected your new fish from your existing fish that are immune already. If the fish is bloated, it could be constipated and the use of epsom salts will make the fish pass the blockage. Do this in a hospital tank. You use 1 or 2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons of tank water. Disolve the epsom salt in a cup of water and pour into tank. It should work in 2 to 4 hours. You can redose after 4 hours, but if the blockage has not gone in 24 hours, it probably will not.

You may also have an infestation of a gill parasite, (flukes) which can be treated with PP, again in a hospital tank, do so research.

On a final note, trying to raise small fish in a planted tank will probably stunt the fish unless you are doing massive water changes every day. Research stunting.

good luck
H

tppramod
Tue Feb 23, 2010, 10:42 AM
Thank you very much for your valuable information. I will take the precautions next time for sure. In the meantime i will follow what u have suggested and keep u posted.

One more question. shall i give the epson salt treatment for all the newly added discus now alongwith the diseased one?

Hollowman
Tue Feb 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
It will not hurt. So go for it. It will also be good to worm your fish at this stage, it may help them start to feed properly.

Steve

tppramod
Wed Feb 24, 2010, 05:33 AM
Hi,

Yesterday i bought epsom salt from the market on the way back from my office and reached home eagerly to start the treatment but shocked to find the fish no more. Anyhow i followed the treatment process as suggested yesterday night but in the main tank only as i do not have a spare tank for this.

After the treatment, today morning, i have noticed one more thing - A white patch on the tail of blue diamond!! Is it due to the epsom treatment or something else which needs immediate attention? New Discus have still not taking food!