PDA

View Full Version : filter media for eheim 2217 ?

goodoo
Thu Feb 18, 2010, 11:50 PM
Hi guys . can anyone help me. I would like to know what media i should put in my second hand 2217. Thanks.

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 12:26 AM
Depends on how much you want to spend, eheim substrate or substrate pro work very well but dont expect much change form $150 (1l of ceramic noodles $15 4L of substrate $65/ 2L box), sera siporax is excellent (5L ~$150) and you wont need seperate ceramic noodles, seachem matrix is also excellent (4L from PSA ~$60 again budget $15 for 1L of ceramic noodles or just leave them out).

if you want to go budget I've had EXCELENT results just filling mine with hydroton from a hydroponics shop, 50L for $35 its performance is just as good as any biomedia listed above just doesn't look as pretty (ie doesn't change colour as it clogs) and needs a bit more of a wash (50L/bag = lots of dust).

goodoo
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks illusn. It came with bio balls and a sponge. So i basically just chock it full of media with the sponge in the top. ?

goodoo
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 02:31 AM
Yeah so i was going to originally just pack it full of noodles with the sponge on top. Just wanted to check if there is a special way to pack the actual filter or is it just media with the sponge on top. I also scored an ancient looking fluval 303 was going to run both the 303 has never been used. Thanks.

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 03:40 AM
303 is a great filter, the 3 series of fluvals were the best they ever made.

if the sponge is corse it goes above the noodles below the biomedia, if its fine (white) it goes ontop, bioballs dont work well in canisters they just dont have the surface area.

Phenomena
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 05:24 AM
http://www.eheimasiapacific.com/prod_e_media_setup.html

goodoo
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks illusn. Im, going to go noodles sponge then. that cheap bio media you said i can get at hydro shops if i can get some.