PDA

View Full Version : Moving House

AHC
Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi

Ok. So, moving with a 780L tank is a lot more stressful then my previous 200l tank. I will be moving late March and am thinking of hiring a truck to move all my furniture and tanks. My question is regarding the actual glass tank. Its 5.5ft x 2.5ft x 2ft and am woundering what your thoughts are on moving this with a moving trolley? You know the trolleys you use to move boxes, fridges etc? If i use a blanket for the bottom of the trolley and verticle rail and fit the tank on length ways running up the trolley, would this be ok?

My concern is that I do not know stress loads and how much i can get away with before i start compromising the join intergrity. Would this put a lot of weight on one side of the tank?

I am thinking if i can do this then it is easier then buying glass suckers, a dolly to roll the tank and getting more people to help lift it.

Hollowman
Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't use the sack trucks you have pictured Aaron, the tank will be way to heavy for them and moving independantly from eachother you will have BIG problems. I would get a proper 4 wheeled trolley or a team to lift it.
Just go careful. :wink:

ILLUSN
Tue Feb 16, 2010, 10:45 PM
Just say when mate, your much better off with 4 blokes to move a tank.

your tank is the same size as mine and me and 3 other moved mine in no problems.

swampy1972
Wed Feb 17, 2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Aaron,

Being in the Defence Force means that I move ALOT! I've seen many ways used by the professionals to move a 6x2x2 that I had.
The best and safest way I witnessed was with the use of piano lifting straps. They're basically a large strap that goes over you should and around your back and under the object (tank in this case) and another on the other end. When you stand the load isn't taken by your lower back. I'm not sure were you'd get them, otherwise I know you can hire the small removalist companies on an hourly rate for small jobs. The bonus with this is that their insured against breakages, I found that out the hard way..
If you do use a four wheel trolley ensure the trolley is wider than the base of the tank otherwise the tank base will fail and the sides will 'fall' to the ground around the trolley. This is how I found out about the insurance..

HTH.. Good luck

AHC
Wed Feb 17, 2010, 09:49 PM
Ok thanks guys.

Yeah i thought I was stretching it using one trolley and the tank length ways like a fridge.

I received some quotes from a removalist coming in and doing all my stuff, including tank. So i am thinking i will go with the best one with insurance. That way it takes the stress out of it all. Jothy if it looks like i need another hand i will give you a call. Thanks so much for that. :)

Hollowman
Wed Feb 17, 2010, 09:52 PM
I am more than happy to come help too Aaron :lol:

swampy1972
Thu Feb 18, 2010, 06:21 AM
[quote="AHC"] i am thinking i will go with the best one with insurance. That way it takes the stress out of it all.quote]

I'd say it the safest option and you rightly say - stress free.. when they broke one of my early tanks I initially thought "*&&^#$)*&!!" but a moment later I was thinking "awesome, new tank!". :lol:

Noddy65
Sat Feb 20, 2010, 11:06 PM
Dont get too stressed about the move..its pretty straight forward (I moved from Perth to Sydney, then moved house again in Sydney)

A 5 x 2 x 2 tank isnt really that heavy.....it can be moved really easily by two people...I moved all my 6 x 2 x 2 with just myself and brother-in-law (and Im a tall but really scrawny bloke)
Just make sure its EMPTY....communicate well with the other carriers when carrying it (talk to each other before moving, rounding corners, putting it down etc).
I moved mine with a trailer, lay carpet or cardboard down, wedge some carpet/cardboard/old poly between each tank and the sides of the trailer/truck (basically ANYWHERE that the tank is likely to touch anything) and drive sensibly but not too slowly.

I wouldnt use a trolley at all, theres just not enough give (like hands and shoulders) and if things go wrong they will go very wrong.

Mike :)

Ottoplec
Sun Feb 21, 2010, 12:56 AM
I just moved my 6x2x1.5 from Cairns to Sydney with no dramas.
I wrapped the tank in removalist blankets and taped these on with packing tape. I strapped the tank to the bars on the removalist truck and it got down here in one piece.
As for picking it up, my father in-law and I carried it down his driveway (truck wouldn',t fit down). If you're unsure, get a couple more people to help lift it.

AHC
Tue Feb 23, 2010, 09:28 PM
Okay Great. Thanks everyone for your feedback and Steve for your help offer - I will skype you into a laptop my girlfriend can carry and you can direct us? hahaha.

I am rather excited about the move now.

It also gives me a chance to take off the black background paint and change it to a grey or white.

Thanks again.

Hollowman
Tue Feb 23, 2010, 10:26 PM
No problem Aaron , I look forward to it :lol: :lol: Good luck with the move buddy. :wink:

Pheonix
Mon Mar 08, 2010, 12:22 PM
Aaron,

I too am in the Defence force and have moved plenty of times, after a while i got sick of trying to find some spare blokes,(once reverted to paying 3 random blokes at the pub down the road $20 each!)so i just asked the professional glass handlers how they move glass around.

Find your local glassier and ask about glass moving suction handles. Basically a large pump run suction cup with a handle you just put em on the tank pump it a few times to create a vacuum and they are fixed in position. used them to lift a 8x2x2 with no dramas. Cost me bout $250 a set but that was a few years ago.

Brett

AHC
Mon Mar 08, 2010, 10:03 PM
Hey Brett,

Thanks for your help.

Are you talking about these hand held glass suckers or do you mean a mechanical arm pully type machine that holds and rolls with the tank, operated by one person?

I am familiar with glass suckers and will be hiring these for the day.

If you are talking about a mechanical arm... Does it run off a computer chip and program? Something I can possibly modify to enable a personal robo-arm. Thus utilising its sci-fi capaibilities to not only be a functional aquarium mover, but an avid arm wrestler, BBQ-er/chef, handyman and possible neighbourhood watch cop - bringing justice to theifs and annoying neighbours alike?

Just thinking an initial outlay in cost may be beneifical if i can get multiple uses from robo-arm.

TW
Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:05 AM
Hi Aaron

Where do you hire those glass suckers from?

Not that I'm moving, but have helped my son (who is another Aaron BTW) move numerous times. He has less tanks than he used to, but still has a 6 x 2 x 2

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 09, 2010, 03:45 AM
would also been keen to know where to buy them from, I have plenty of tanks to move around (Damn fishrooms)

Pheonix
Tue Mar 09, 2010, 04:29 AM
Thats them, the hand held ones, very easy to use and make moving tanks so much easier, Illusn I got mine from Viridian Glass in Alexandria a few years ago but am sure most Glass places could source them for you.

AHC
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 02:10 AM
Hi,

I received a quote from a place called complete hire.

Thank you for your enquiry,

Glass suckers are $20.00 each per day.

Regards

Greg Gardem
Operations Manager
Main Office & Administration
296 Canterbury rd
Canterbury
O:9718 9666 F:9718 7644

City Branch
Cnr Wentworth Park rd & Cowper st
Glebe
O:9571 9999 F:9571 9699
greg@completehire.com.au

But I basically did a google search and found a site that looks for you. I think i typed glass sucker hire or something simple like that.

I have not hired it yet as I am thinking I may buy a pair - Thanks for the sales place Brett. I will look into it.

Funnily, I am moving to Alexandria. Robyn if i buy a pair and your son (great name) wants to use them, then give me a call.

AHC
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 02:14 AM
ps. I just called Viridian Glass to which only sell glass now.

TW
Wed Mar 10, 2010, 09:09 PM
Robyn if i buy a pair and your son (great name) wants to use them, then give me a call.