PDA

View Full Version : Food alternative

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:08 AM
Hi all.

Im currently feeding:

NLS Thera A + Omega One clour flake(morning)
Mals freeze dried black worms (evening)

Frozen beefheart, discus dinner, bloodworms and peas (a couple of treats per week).

I am finding that the NLS gets into spots that the discus cant get to it so it sits there until i syphon it out.

I was thinking of switching the NLS to these Cichlid Sticks:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tropical-Fish-Food-1KG-Cichlid-Sticks-Recent-Release_W0QQitemZ250544780119QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU _Pet_Supplies?hash=item3a55a1f357

The idea is that i can maybe, due to the size and shape, hand feed the sticks and therefore avoid the food going astray before it gets eaten. I would only do it if the new food is comparable to the NLS although it looks like it may actually be better.

What are your thoughts?

Hollowman
Sun Feb 14, 2010, 10:43 AM
Hi Ado,

I wonder if the sticks may be too long for the discus to take. You know how they pick ans spit, they might get fed up waiting for them to get soft enough to swallow.
Let us know how you get on, unless you try you dont know :wink:

Steve

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Feb 14, 2010, 11:19 AM
Very true Steve. Id rather not get stuck with a kilo of the things if it doesnt work out though. ;)

Another option is to keep the front centre of the tank king of clear so they can easily get to the food.

Robdog
Sun Feb 14, 2010, 02:35 PM
What size pellet NLS are you using Ado? Maybe a bigger size pellet would do the trick.
I've found certain marine anthias species will only go for a certain size pellet. If it is the wrong size it just floats straight past them

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Feb 14, 2010, 07:53 PM
I use Thera A so its only 1 mm.

Robdog
Mon Feb 15, 2010, 12:47 PM
I thought it came in 3mm also?

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 06:44 AM
If it does i haven't spotted it. Let me know if you see it.

Robdog
Fri Feb 19, 2010, 02:10 PM
I saw it today and I'll see it tomorrow. :wink:

Mattzilla
Tue Mar 02, 2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/spectrum_fish_food.php?page=2&instid=8194

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Mar 03, 2010, 06:08 AM
A very kind member gave me a rather large sample but now i know where to look when i restock.

Thanks Rob !!!!!

:D