PDA

View Full Version : New to discus. Help out a beginner!

Ross
Wed Feb 10, 2010, 10:33 PM
Hey guys I'm completely new to discus and know almost nothing about them. I have been into reefs for a long time and I'm thinking about making a switch. I'm looking for all information I can get.

I'll start out with what size tank do I need? I would like to have 2-3 discuss and maybe some other smaller fish. Also, I think it would be neat to eventually breed them.

Next is the filtration. I have always done a sump and refugium for my reef tanks but people seem to go the route of hang on back or canister filters. Whats the best out there?

Are there any special needs for water chemistry? Low/high ph, high temperature, anything special. I know almost nothing!

Also would would be some good types of discus that don't get too large as I would like to keep this tank fairly small.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to learning from yall! 8-)

Hollowman
Wed Feb 10, 2010, 11:37 PM
Hey guys I'm completely new to discus and know almost nothing about them. I'm looking for all information I can get.

You need to do some real homework before taking the plunge, use the 'search' facility to find specific info

I'll start out with what size tank do I need?

As big as possible. Discus need between 40-50 litres or 10 gallons per adult fish

I would like to have 2-3 discuss

Like I said, homework needs to be done. 2 fish are ok.. if you get a mated pair. 3 fish, no good. Discus are shoaling fish and are more secure in numbers. 5-6 fish is better....now think of the tank size!!
and maybe some other smaller fish.

if they are compatible, and you have room only

Also, I think it would be neat to eventually breed them.

Learn how to keep them properly first, walk before you run.

Next is the filtration. I have always done a sump and refugium for my reef tanks but people seem to go the route of hang on back or canister filters. Whats the best out there?

I have a sump on my system, but like cannisters too

Are there any special needs for water chemistry? Low/high ph, high temperature, anything special. I know almost nothing!

Read read read If you look after your water, the fish look after themselves

Also would would be some good types of discus that don't get too large as I would like to keep this tank fairly small.

:roll: :shock: When discus are kept properly, they can reach 8-10" from tip of nose to end of caudal.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, I look forward to learning from yall! 8-)

It really seens like you do not know anything about these beautiful fish, there is so much to learn so do not rush in, this is the first mistake so many make......to their cost. Read, ask, learn.

hth
H

Ross
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 01:44 AM
Hey guys I'm completely new to discus and know almost nothing about them. I'm looking for all information I can get.

You need to do some real homework before taking the plunge, use the 'search' facility to find specific info

I'll start out with what size tank do I need?

As big as possible. Discus need between 40-50 litres or 10 gallons per adult fish

I would like to have 2-3 discuss

Like I said, homework needs to be done. 2 fish are ok.. if you get a mated pair. 3 fish, no good. Discus are shoaling fish and are more secure in numbers. 5-6 fish is better....now think of the tank size!!
and maybe some other smaller fish.

if they are compatible, and you have room only

Also, I think it would be neat to eventually breed them.

Learn how to keep them properly first, walk before you run.

I have a sump on my system, but like cannisters too

Read read read If you look after your water, the fish look after themselves

:roll: :shock: When discus are kept properly, they can reach 8-10" from tip of nose to end of caudal.

It really seens like you do not know anything about these beautiful fish, there is so much to learn so do not rush in, this is the first mistake so many make......to their cost. Read, ask, learn.

hth
H

Thats why I'm here, to learn. Thanks for the sarcasm by the way. Any more information would be greatly appreciated!

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 03:08 AM
LOL you'll get use to Steve, have a search through the froum, the serch button up top is your best friend.

discus like to school, so start with a minimum group of 5 fish.

discus grow big (i have some over 20cm across) budget at least 50L/fish 60L is better, so for 5 fish a 300L tank is the minimum

water quality is parramount aim for 0 ammonia nitrate and nitrite. sumps are fine just keep them clean, hang ons and canisters are a little easier to clean and with discus you rely on water changes rather then filtration to keep the water clean (no filter can remove ALL the NO3 fish produce not even denitrators)

discus like it warm so keep the temp at 27c or higher (i like 30 but it gets expensive), also like soft acidic water (mine have a kh of 0 and a ph of 5 or less but you dont need this kind of setup to keep them)

bare bottom tanks are wonderful, fish grow faster, get sick less often, and its much easier to diagnose and treat problems.

Discus do better in a species tank if your just starting out try a bare bottom discus only tank to start, once you find your feet add some rams or apistos maybe a few L numbers or tetras.

given what you want from the fish I'd dare say discus may not be right for you, if you want a small discus tank, invest in a pair and keep them in something like a 3 footer (120ish liters) The massive investemnt in such fish for a first attempt would be unwise, maybe concider a small amazonian biotype with rams/ apistos and tetras instead of discus. It would look much nicer and needn't be any bigger then 150L or so.

Hollowman
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Ross,

Not sarcasm, but a wish that you start off on the right foot. You obviously know about marines, of which I know nothing.

Looking after discus is relatively easy, if you follow the few simple rules, just like marine I would imagine.
I am happy to help, just ask :wink:

H

Ross
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys. So could i get away with a 30 gallon long tank? (3 ft long). I only want a couple discus and a few other smaller fish. I feel very comfortable keeping the water stable, I'v been doing reef tanks for years so I feel pretty confident with keeping water chemistry good. I would like the idea of a planted tank, is that something that typically does well with discus?

Hollowman
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hi Ross,
I think for a 3ft tank an adult pair would be the best thing to try to get. You could have a few Cory Sterbais to scuttle along the bottom, or a bristlenose Ansistrus. Both these tankmates do not get large and are discus friendly.
I would steer away from gravel but go for a sand substrate. No need for a lot, maybe an inch deep layer, no more. Sand is great because any uneaten food and faeces will sit on top and is eay to vac out.
I use swimming pool filter sand, it is slightly bigger grained, is neutral and is a nice goldy colour. With sand, you can also use some nice 'rooty' bog wood, it makes it look quite nice, and if you want plants, you could get some that can be tied on the wood. Make sure you think about plants that can take the higher discus temeratures.
hth

What part of the world are you in Ross?

Steve

Ross
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 07:57 PM
So with 2 discus and a few other smaller fish, are weekly water changes still necessary? I don't even do that in my reef tanks and have had great sucess with water changes every 2-3 weeks. Also what would the best filter? It seems like canister is the way to go. I'm in Texas.

ILLUSN
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
if you get a pair in a 3 footer, with good filtration you could get away with once a week, but twice a week would be beter, remember the idea is to keep your NO3 as low as possible (i always aimed for 0), any reading above 20ppm will cause you problems (HiTH etc). the ything with fresh water is you dont have live rock to help you out. I know a few people who find fresh water harder then marine (its always the water changes that get them).

as for filters on a 3 footer an eheim 2215 would do the job, though for the estra money a 2217 would be better just uswe the taps to reduce the currant, I;d also have a sponge filter in there for the day you decide to breed.

if i were you just staring out, a nice pair of turks in a bare bottom 3 footer would be the way to go.

Hollowman
Thu Feb 11, 2010, 08:56 PM
So with 2 discus and a few other smaller fish, are weekly water changes still necessary? I don't even do that in my reef tanks and have had great sucess with water changes every 2-3 weeks. Also what would the best filter? It seems like canister is the way to go. I'm in Texas.

Like Jothy says, it is the water changes that really make the difference. Do a search for 'stunted' fish. Stunting is caused by poor water, lack of maintenance and water changes.
It is so sad to see a fish that once had potential, and end up a stunted, deformed fish.
I do, like most here, water changes twice a week, or daily on breeding tanks. This is where marine and fresh water keepers differ so much. It adds up to a lot of water, but it is what we do to give our fish the best chance of growing big and strong.
I recommend the Eheim 2217 too, a great cannister. I also use sponges in each tank. :)