PDA

View Full Version : Worm ID

Sepincourt
Mon Feb 01, 2010, 05:39 AM
Hello,

I seem to have… a few worms in my tank, I was wondering if anyone here can give me a positive ID on them, I’ve had a look around the internet and have a few ideas but being new to this game I thought I’d ask to be sure.

I first saw them yesterday, exclusively in the gravel, done a quick vac to remove as many as possible. Today however, there were just as many and even some on the glass, they started to head to the bottom when I turned on the lights.

These are the second worms I’ve seen in my tank, it’s been setup for about 2-3 months, I had some planaria (I think, short wide white worms, normally on the glass. Current ones are longer and have a more reddish color) in the first week, but have not seen them since.

My thoughts are that they are a type of Nematode, perhaps Camallanus (Though I’ve not seen any in my fish, so to speak) Can anyone give me a positive ID? What harm can they do? And how can I get rid of them?

I want them gone regardless of what they are or what damage they can do.

Additional info, Water Prams are:
P.H: 6.8
K.H: ~50ppm
G.H: ~80ppm
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10-15
With CO2 injection.

Excuse the photo quality…

Any help I can get would be great, these things are rather unnerving, there are HEAPS of them in there so I wont some answers/ideas so I can get rid of them ASAP.

Cheers,
Sep.

ILLUSN
Mon Feb 01, 2010, 06:22 AM
THOSE RED LONG(ER) WORMS ARE NORMAL GRAVEL DECOMPOSERS. THE RED BALLS OF WORMSI GET UNDER MY PLECO CAVES WHEN i'VE BEEN SLACK WITH THE CLEANING.

SMALL WHITE WORMS ARE FROM OVER FEEDING AND POOR MAINTENCE.

DO A MASSIVE WATER CHANGE (90%) USE THE GRAVEL VAC FOR ALL OF IT JUST KEEP CLEANING THE GRAVEL, TOP UP AND REPEAT IN A WEEK YOU SHOULD BE FINE.

PLANTED TANKS CAN BE A BIT OF A PAIN ALSO TRY TO REDUCING YOUR FEEDS TO ONCE A DAY ONLY AS MUCH FOD AS YOUR FISH EAT IN 20-30 SECONDS.