PDA

View Full Version : Observations re holding blackworms

paddyedgar
Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:34 PM
I have read Mals Sticky re holding blackworms and found it very useful.

I have been feeding blackworms on a regular basis for the last two years and have not encountered any problems as a consequence.

Living in Perth has presented a few problems regarding the quality of the product that we actually receive from the LFS , especially in the summer. Unfortunately when the worms arrive they sit on the tarmac awaiting the arrival of the LFS courier and in 40c+ that is not good.

I am aware that the LFS pick up their supply on a Friday afternoon but buying them on Saturday morning does not ensure that you get fresh worms as they will try to sell whats left from last week first. Ask to see them first.

I generally buy enough on a Saturday to provide two or three feeds during the following week. I have been keeping them in a glass jar, 400 ml., half full of water and in the fridge. My LFS keeps them dry in an plastic container in the fridge.

A few weeks ago I had some left over and I threw them in a bucket half full of water. Nothing else. And after two weeks I was surprised to find that they were still alive and quite active.

I have since added an air line. Changed the water on a regular basis and started to feed them a little beefheart every second day. Whilst they have not increased in numbers (which was not the intention) they are surviving well. I think that you can judge their health by their activity and as they are still very active I am confident that I can now feed them to my discus and add to the little worm bucket on a weekly basis. At least that might give me a little space to overcome holidays or interupted supply.

Interested to hear any comments.

Paddy

Hollowman
Thu Jan 28, 2010, 12:59 PM
Sounds good, will this work with Mal's freeze dried worms ? :? :lol: :lol:

paddyedgar
Thu Jan 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
I tried Mals freeze dried and the fish went mad for them in the beginning but now turn there nose up at them. Perhaps I have spoiled them with too much live worm.

Paddy

ILLUSN
Fri Jan 29, 2010, 03:40 AM
I tried Mals freeze dried and the fish went mad for them in the beginning but now turn there nose up at them. Perhaps I have spoiled them with too much live worm.

Paddy

id put money on it