PDA

View Full Version : A. baenschi

Noddy65
Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:58 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/th_MVI_3911.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/?action=view¤t=MVI_3911.flv)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/th_MVI_3929.jpg (http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a378/Noddy65/?action=view&current=MVI_3929.flv)

Ive got three lots of fry from the two pairs so far :D

TW
Thu Jan 28, 2010, 10:22 PM
Hi Mike - congratulations, that's great.

Don't forget to put a couple of pairs on hold for me, when they are big enough for sale :)

Noddy65
Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:46 PM
Will do Robyn...theyre still pretty small :)

Mike

TW
Thu Jan 28, 2010, 11:52 PM
I'm a patient gal, Mike. I can wait until you say they are big enough to leave the fold :)

jluna
Fri Jan 29, 2010, 05:52 AM
i'd also be very keen on purchasing a couple of pairs when the time comes.

steph
Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:09 AM
Congrats on the fry Mike, that didnt take long!

Must be the water ;) as my New Year spawn has now scattered all through the display tank and the female has spawned again, and is chasing the older fry off. Subdominant female has gone yellow too and is standing up for herself a little bit more so she might spawn soon too.

Cheers

Steph

Robdog
Sun Jan 31, 2010, 01:54 PM
I have 3 females with fry and 1 very proud father. Nothing like a cyclonic low pressure system to get fish a little frisky!
Dominant female has discarded her original fry and I think she has layed again if her behaviour yesterday is any indication. Hopefully she can sneak these ones past the cardinal guard aswell ;)

steph
Sun Jan 31, 2010, 11:35 PM
OK..so how do i get small fish - eg about 8 - 9 mm out of the tank and into another one??

Im thinking a PET bottle fish trap but worried if the fry go in so might something bigger ??

I think they are too big to siphon out ?

Now that mum has abandoned them in favour of some more eggs ;)

Should of done it a week ago but have only just got my shelves set up.

Steph

TW
Mon Feb 01, 2010, 03:06 AM
Ah Robdog, what apisto do you have? Last we spoke, I thought you were fishless / tankless?

Congratus Steph. I was going to suggest syponing them out with clear pvc tubing (not a gravel vac) but you say they are too big for that.

Otherwise, sounds like maybe a job for 2 nets (one to catch, one to chase). I've also used a chop stick as the "chaser" to herd them into a net.

Robdog
Mon Feb 01, 2010, 08:37 AM
Last we spoke, I thought you were fishless / tankless?

Well I'm still tankless but I have fish :? Very strange situation
I have some A. baenschi from the same shipment as Noddy.

steph
Mon Feb 01, 2010, 10:20 AM
s / tankless?

Congratus Steph. I was going to suggest syponing them out with clear pvc tubing (not a gravel vac) but you say they are too big for that.

Otherwise, sounds like maybe a job for 2 nets (one to catch, one to chase). I've also used a chop stick as the "chaser" to herd them into a net.

AFter much mucking about we ended up siphoning them out with larger diameter tubing, eg 25mm.

Pleased and surprised to report that we got 14 of the little things, which I am pretty happy about considering my best recent count was 12, and that was 2 weeks ago before they scattered. Am sure there are still a few more in the display tank as well, but they will have to wait for another day. These are definately the survivors as they were super quick and hard to get even with the siphon.

Cheers

Steph

briztoon
Mon Feb 01, 2010, 12:56 PM
Well I took the gravel vac off the clear siphon tubing when I had to remove largish fry. The internal diameter of the tubing is 15mm. I often will do a tank siphon without the gravel vac head, just hold the end of the hose about 20mm above the subtrate. I can't count how many times an oto or riffle shrimp has been accidently siphoned up, but they always survive the trip in to the big blue bucket. The hardest part is fishing them out of the bucket to put back into the tank.

TW
Thu Mar 11, 2010, 02:55 AM
Hi Mike

How qare the fry doing? Let me know prices & what not, when you're ready to sell.