PDA

View Full Version : Water & Filter questions

jetson
Sat Jan 23, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hi All,

I have a 4ft (250L) planted/driftwood tank.

1st question

It currently runs 2 Aquaone filters. A 1200 LPH internal and a 800 LPH Hang On one.

In addition to the standard sponge/foam filters, they both have additional carbon media and the internal filter also has a bio-chem zorb sachet.

The water never seems to be "crystal clear". It always has a slight cloudy haze or tannin from the driftwood.

Apart from using dodgy filters is there something I need to do to acheive crystal clear water?

2nd question

I am going to eventually upgrade to a canister filter. (Which maybe the answer for question 1). What filters do people use and recomend?

My research seems to be pointing straight to Eheims.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 23, 2010, 12:55 PM
Hi Jet,

How long have your filters been running ? sounds like they may need a rinse out. Filters do get clogged up now and again, so get some water from the tank and rinse the sponges with this water, DO NOT rinse in tap water.
Secondly, the only reason to have carbon in any filter would be to clean out any left over med that you might have been using. So take it out.

The cloudiness can come from a bacterial bloom in your water. How often are you changing your water and how much?? Generally, most people here do a 30% water change 2 to 3 times a week, for me 2 times is a minimum per week.
It could be that you are feeding too heavily, over stocked, or you do not do enough maintenance, ie cleaning up uneaten food after feeding, gravel cleaning.
To get a lovely crystal clear water, I use a thick layer of filter floss (looks like candy floss but white) in the top of my filters, again, this too can over time get clogged and can be replaced.

As for external filters, the Eheim classic range are great, the 2217 is an excellent filter, on my 4ft tank I had 2 running and never had any issues. They are low powered (watt wise) and silent cannisters, so you will not go wrong with them, plus they are very reasonably priced.

hth

H :)

jetson
Sat Jan 23, 2010, 09:31 PM
Hi Jet,

How long have your filters been running ? sounds like they may need a rinse out. Filters do get clogged up now and again, so get some water from the tank and rinse the sponges with this water, DO NOT rinse in tap water.
Secondly, the only reason to have carbon in any filter would be to clean out any left over med that you might have been using. So take it out.

The cloudiness can come from a bacterial bloom in your water. How often are you changing your water and how much?? Generally, most people here do a 30% water change 2 to 3 times a week, for me 2 times is a minimum per week.
It could be that you are feeding too heavily, over stocked, or you do not do enough maintenance, ie cleaning up uneaten food after feeding, gravel cleaning.
To get a lovely crystal clear water, I use a thick layer of filter floss (looks like candy floss but white) in the top of my filters, again, this too can over time get clogged and can be replaced.

As for external filters, the Eheim classic range are great, the 2217 is an excellent filter, on my 4ft tank I had 2 running and never had any issues. They are low powered (watt wise) and silent cannisters, so you will not go wrong with them, plus they are very reasonably priced.

hth

H :)
Thanks Hollowman!

I have had the tank/filters for about 3 months.

I have just replaced the media in the hang on filter yesterday and I rinse the sponges in the internal filter at least every third water change (in aquarium water). The are due for replacement in a few weeks.

I do water changes twice a week, feed a combo of frozen, live and dry food and all in moderation so that I don't overfeed.

I have about 7 discus juvies and about 8 neons in there at the moment. So I don't think it is overstocked.

I might upgrade to some eheims and see if that helps.

Hollowman
Sat Jan 23, 2010, 10:28 PM

Ok, I am guessing you filled the tank and threw in the fish. How Did you cycle the tank if you did not do this. 3 months is still a young filter system.

I have just replaced the media in the hang on filter yesterday
Why replace it, what exactly did you replace?

I rinse the sponges in the internal filter at least every third water change (in aquarium water).
This is too often, you are probably washing out the good bacteria

They are due for replacement in a few weeks.
Again, why are you repalcing it ?

I do water changes twice a week, feed a combo of frozen, live and dry food and all in moderation so that I don't overfeed.
The point is here that you must try to clean uneaten food before it rots, or do you let it disappear into the substrate ? (this is not good)

I have about 7 discus juvies and about 8 neons in there at the moment. So I don't think it is overstocked.
No, not over stocked, but I think that your tank is not cycled properly and this is giving rise to the problems you are having. Replacing filtermedia is not the done thing, this is where all the biological filtration is done, remove it and you are not cycled and it all starts again.
Can you test your water for Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte? I suspect we will see problems in your readings.

H

jetson
Sat Jan 23, 2010, 11:35 PM
I brought the tank from a neighbour. Up until yesterday I was still using his media in both filters. I used about 100 litres of his aged water when I setup the tank.

The only media I rinse is the two sponges in the internal filter. Out of those two I alternate which ones I rinse. I have never rinsed the media cartridge in the hang on filter but was advised by the previous owner to replace it every three months (which I did yesterday). It went a little over as I wanted to make sure everything had settled nicely.

All food is eaten before it hits the substrate and I always use a gravel pump to be safe.

I always test for Ph and Ammonia and I never have a problem. The fish are happy, healthy and growing. I haven't lost one yet!! I will get a test for nitrates and see how that goes.

Ok, I am guessing you filled the tank and threw in the fish. How Did you cycle the tank if you did not do this. 3 months is still a young filter system.

I have just replaced the media in the hang on filter yesterday
Why replace it, what exactly did you replace?

I rinse the sponges in the internal filter at least every third water change (in aquarium water).
This is too often, you are probably washing out the good bacteria

They are due for replacement in a few weeks.
Again, why are you repalcing it ?

The point is here that you must try to clean uneaten food before it rots, or do you let it disappear into the substrate ? (this is not good)

No, not over stocked, but I think that your tank is not cycled properly and this is giving rise to the problems you are having. Replacing filtermedia is not the done thing, this is where all the biological filtration is done, remove it and you are not cycled and it all starts again.
Can you test your water for Ammonia, NitrIte and NitrAte? I suspect we will see problems in your readings.

H

Hollowman
Sun Jan 24, 2010, 01:01 AM
Ok, just remeber that aged water from an old tank holds no beneficial content, it is the filter media that is the most important thing.

Make sure you KNOW what your ammonia and NitrIte levels are, this is crucial, saying you have no problems right now is not good, you need to know. Facts and figures are so important if things start to go wrong, it will also give us more chance of sorting your problems that you originly posted about.

As I said before, you should not need to replace your sponges or media, get rid of them and you get rid of your filter basically and the ability to convert the waste from your fish. What you were told was wrong. Only rinse them out if your water flow is seen to be restricted or your parameters change.
Only get rid of the carbon, you do not need it.

I am glad you appear not to have health problems yet, but you must know your parameters to maintain healthy fish.

Photos would be nice, lets see your juvies :wink:

H