PDA

View Full Version : peppermint bristlenose

lpiasente
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:51 AM
I have 3 sub adult pepps 1 female and 2 male this morning the female has quite a large what seems to be bite mark out of her face and she isn't looking too good. I was wondering if the males would have done this to her or if it would have been the 20 cm knife fish that share the same hollow log? I have taken the poor girl out and put her in small tank on her own added extra air but now I am not sure what else I can do. Should i just kep the tank clean and warm or add some meds/salt?

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 04:24 AM
wouldn't be the males they leave a mark on the back of the head during breeding but never anything more. i wouldn't keep a ghost knife with peps, especially if it tries to get into the same log as the peppermints.

lpiasente
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:04 AM
The big fella gets shipped out tomorrow. What about meds? It isn't a pink fleshy wound but definatly a wound and this arvo it looks to have a covering of fungus over it. I have a multicure but I wasn't sure if this can be used on catfish?

TW
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:08 AM
If just a wound, would salt help? 1teaspoon per 40litres?

lpiasente
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 06:54 AM
Hi Robyn I wasn't sure about the salt on the catfish either, do you know??

ILLUSN
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:14 PM
salt wont harm catfish at low doses (1-2 tsp/40L)

peps are hard to medicate because scaless fish are super sensitive to may drugs, ive had good results using melafix and pimafix together to help wounds heal, also try and keep the water super clean till she recovers.

TW
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
I've used salt on my peps - after getting the okay from their human daddy, Jothy, of course !

lpiasente
Wed Jan 20, 2010, 10:16 AM
Bit sad she died today but with the wound she had I was pretty sure she would. The fungus growth went over her whole body and was grey not white it actually looked like what you would get on rotten food. I haven't seen aything like that before. Thanks for the info guys next time I will know what to do.

TW
Wed Jan 20, 2010, 02:38 PM
Oh, so sorry to hear that. Was she your only female pep?

lpiasente
Wed Jan 20, 2010, 08:34 PM
yes she was I have 2 males left. I wasn't looking to breed them though. Poor little thing