PDA

View Full Version : When to remove fry?

steph
Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:14 PM
Im interested in peoples thoughts on when they remove fry from the mother.

My A. baenschi spawn is getting much bigger, starting to grow real tails now and be a little bit more adventuresome about the tank.

I am tempted to remove them however the female is doing a fantastic job of guarding them and leading them about the tank to different spots for feeding. Their little bellies are always full and I still have about 15 - 20 of them. My only option at the moment would be a fry saver net in the same tank however when the female is doing all the hard work for me I wonder about the wisdom of this. I have also had problems of fish sucking small fry through the fry net in the past.

I am really keen to grow these fry to maturity.

Cheers

Steph

Rod
Sun Jan 17, 2010, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't put them in a "Fry saver"

As my Father always said "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Sounds like she will be a good Mum
To me that's the fun...watching Mum loook after he tribe!

If you are really worried....have an each way bet....remove half of them
I'll bet the ones that stay with Mum will grow faster!

Hassles
Mon Jan 18, 2010, 01:10 AM
My persoanl approach is to never remove the fry until necessary. That is until the famale begins to exhibit some intolerance of the fish, I leave the fry with her. The early removel of fry may facilitate another spawn and this is generally why the fry are relocated prematurely - to maximise output. I don't want my fish to breed any more frequently than thay do which also influences my approach. Unless you have a good excuse I agree - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, one must remain aware that Apistogramma is a fish that learns from their parents and raising them in absence of their parents will deny them this education.

take care

Robdog
Mon Jan 18, 2010, 04:00 AM
I concur. I have 2 baenschi females with fry combined with 150 cardinals and 11 Altums(?). Greatway to see the mothering instinct in action.

Despite the fact that it would be hopeless trying to catch them in their current tank, I don't really want to until they get a little more independant of their mum. I agree with Rod's dad, if it aint broke, don't fix it.

gingerbeer01
Tue Jan 19, 2010, 01:46 AM
I tend to remove the male - and this removes the temptation to spawn and hence the mother cares for the fry. I find the fry grow a lot quicker if left with mum - almost twice the rate.

I tend to disbelieve the Apistogramma/dwarfs learn breeding behaviour line. I find the key to good parenting is mostly making the enviroment right - then removing breeding triggers for next spawn, and then if necessary dithers.

APistos have such a strong personality I seldom have issues- but found with Rams first generation imports would never parent, but subsequent gens would have no problem.