PDA

View Full Version : spray bars

lpiasente
Tue Jan 12, 2010, 08:05 PM
What is the best was to face spray bars? I used to have them facing down the back wall and then I read somewhere they should run accross the top of the water surface and then I read how I had it in the first place was right. One up one down???????? How do you all have them running and why?

axl
Tue Jan 12, 2010, 08:38 PM
I have my co2 bar facing towards the plants and the other 1 facing the surface creating light ripples to create more oxygen

TW
Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:39 PM
When you are pumping in C02, IMO, you don't want the surface to be broken by the spray bar - so you point it slightly down, towards the back or lower it.

If you aren't concerned about loss of C02, then using it to break the surface does crease oxygen and creates the ripple which can look nice.

Either way is good, depending on your situation.

Hollowman
Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:43 PM
It all depends on how much flow you have and current really. When I use spraybars, I have them near the surface and direct them towards the glass, behind them and slightly up so the water breaks the surface (not right out of course) breaking the surface allows maximum oxygen transfer.
We know also that discus are still water fish, therefore the flow is reduced within the tank by deflecting the flow from the spraybar against the side of the tank.
This is how I do it, but there are no 'rules' I like to keep my fish happy by giving them the best conditions, so current flow is the main factor for me.

hth

Steve

lpiasente
Wed Jan 13, 2010, 02:55 AM
I put them both at the surface but it was pushing all the food and poop behind the driftwood making it hard to clean and hard for the fish to get the food,mind you the sand looks soooo clean. If I put one along the surface and one facing down onto the back wall will this be okand not create too much current. I am running 2x2217 in a 4x2x2.
Thanks y'all

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Jan 13, 2010, 04:43 AM
Im sure your discus will let you know if you get it wrong.

swampy1972
Thu Jan 14, 2010, 08:48 AM
I have mine on the end opposite the pickup along the end panel and facing the glass behind it and down slightly. There's with nil mid water or surface current but does create a gentle flow across the bare bottom that sweeps most of t debris to the pick up. I use an airstone for O2 transfer.
It reduces my cleaning time and the fish seem happy enough with it.