PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia & Terminalia Catappa Leaves

TW
Thu Jan 07, 2010, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know if Catappa leaves can have an effect on an ammonia test result. New tank set up on New Years Day. The filter had been cycling away since October 09.

Last night I decided to do a water test. I was shocked that Ammonia was at 2ppm :eek:

This 2ppm 'caused me to panic & break QT conditions. Took a deep breath, said my prayers & put that filter on the 7ft tank (which needs 2 eheim cannisters). Took one filter from the 7ft tank & put it on the new tank & waited 24 hrs. That filter has been running 1.5yrs on the 7ft & before that, had been running for several more months on another tank.

So, today I did another ammonia test expecting to see ammonia back at zero. It was still 2ppm :eek:

The water is the colour of tea (from the Catappa Leaves). I can't really believe that the Catappa Leaves colouring the water effects an ammonia test - but I just don't know what to make of it - as there is no way this 2nd filter isn't cycled & so far, the fish aren't acting sick.

If ammonia really is 2ppm, I guess I have to expect their health to start deteriorating pretty soon (but wouldn't that already have happened - they've been in that tank since New Years Day). What to do???

Any thoughts, anyone?

Hollowman
Thu Jan 07, 2010, 09:30 AM
Hi Robyn,

What is your Ph?
I also have catappa leaves in my sump, but have not seen this happen or noticed any rise in ammonia, I test each w/c always zero. :?:

TW
Thu Jan 07, 2010, 12:42 PM
pH = 6.6

I don't think it can be the catappa leaves either. Tested 7ft tank (the source of both filters) in case it's ammonia was out of whack - but it was zero. So I don't understand how this can be.

Whatever, I feel I can't leave these wild discus as is, so now the tank has a 2nd filter that has been cycled for years, taken from yet another tank. Hopefully, in the next couple of hours it will take car of things.

So much for my QT.

Hollowman
Thu Jan 07, 2010, 12:59 PM
New test kit maybe ?? :?

TW
Thu Jan 07, 2010, 01:34 PM
New test kit maybe ?? :?Maybe, but if it is playing up - why did it test zero on the 7ft

I'll test again in the morning, after the 2nd filter has had a chance to have some impact.

Hollowman
Thu Jan 07, 2010, 03:34 PM
Just a thought, is there anything stuck in the cannister producing the ammonia?

The other day I threw a whole mussel in my sump to keep it going while I changed over my system. It got sucked into the pump and wedged itself in the inlet. Large bits were chomped off and pumped into the filter end of the sump, just sitting there rotting. Sometimes a quick clean out of your cannister (sludge removal) can rejuvinate it.

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 07, 2010, 10:34 PM
i'm assuming your using an API test kit. if so you dont have ammonia the leaves stain the water yellowish when you do your ammonia test the yellow from the water reacts with the test and makes it look positive.

try a hagen ammonia kit it turns green when there is ammonia present, or a seachem ammonia alert (turns blue with ammonia)

TW
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 06:35 AM
i'm assuming your using an API test kit. if so you dont have ammonia the leaves stain the water yellowish when you do your ammonia test the yellow from the water reacts with the test and makes it look positive.

try a hagen ammonia kit it turns green when there is ammonia present, or a seachem ammonia alert (turns blue with ammonia)Yes, I'm using API. What a relief !

Shame I breached QT conditions, for no good reason.

Thanks all

Ben75
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 08:31 AM
Hi Robyn,
Just saw this thread, i would agree, i get a similar result with peat conditioned water, freaks you out abit when it first happens.
I know some people don't like using activated carbon in discus setups
but it does remove the tea colour out of the water and imo doesn't seem to change anything else but i could be wrong.
Regards,
Ben

Robdog
Sun Jan 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
I think you do too much thinking Robyn! :lol:

If your ph is around 6.6 then your system could probably handle a little bit of ammonia without too many dramas. The toxicity of ammonia is reduced at lower ph values so I wouldn't be too concerned.

TW
Mon Jan 11, 2010, 11:24 PM
Yeah, at one level I knew that at 6.6pH they would be ok, Rod, but 2ppm is more than a little. This is the tank full of mylong awaited precious new wild green discus ! I wanted conditions to be perfect for them - especially since I took them from their pefect natural habitat.

Anyway, all is well as the filter has now been tested on normal coloured water and ammonia = zero

Robdog
Tue Jan 12, 2010, 09:03 AM
Nice one. Good to hear it's all going to plan for you.

If only someone up here would import some wilds. :roll:
Hmmm better make some phone calls :wink: