PDA

View Full Version : Tetra hunting discus

PinoyDiscus
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 03:00 AM
When I got my four juvenile discus and placed them in my planted tank, they wouldn't eat for a week, but I asked around and acclimated them slowly using the heat and salt method in a bare tank. I guess they got over that hump quickly. I was changing my water yesterday when I noticed that 2 of my neons had gone belly up and had bite marks and one was swimming awkwardly. Upon closer examination, the one that was still swimming had one of its eye taken out! I scanned the tank for suspects... blue rams, Bolivian rams, a solitary serpae tetra, dwarf gouramis and could it possibly be??? 2 red melons and 2 golden sunrise discus???

My discus were swimming placidly and were giving me innocent, "Who me?" looks... So without concrete evidence, I just shrugged it off and decided to wait and observe some more hoping to catch the culprit in the act.

Well, this morning, I was watching my tank from the couch like I always do and I saw my discus "hunting" amongst the valisneria... They would sidle up slowly to the neons and with a lightning fast strike "poooffff", the neon was no more... I watched fascinated as they continued to decimate my neons... Fortunately, my neons can hide in the heavier cover and hopefully a few can survive... I'm happy that my discus are eating but I'm not too happy that they're snacking on my neons... Frown

I wanted to get cardinals but they're harder to find here than hen's teeth... I'm glad though, coz they cost 6 times more than neons!

Anyway, can you recommend other dither fish that would be harder for my "pack" of discus to hunt? Harlequins are out, they're rarer than tetras here... Any other ideas guys?

Just wanted to share that story... Cheers!

weird
Thu Feb 17, 2005, 10:51 AM
Nice story :D Sad for the neons, but atleast the discus are getting a varied diet .

Aurora
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 03:01 AM
How about rummy-nose tetra?

They look good and are a bit bigger than neons.

kalebjarrod
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 01:46 AM
rummy nose is what i have (with cardinal's)

maybe some black neons?

leanne31
Sat Feb 19, 2005, 01:52 AM
I had both neons and black neons in my tank my discus ate all my neons but they leave my black neons alone they grow a bit bigger.