PDA

View Full Version : finally some fry that survived !!

simmo2302
Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:12 AM
here is a vid of my 1 week old discus fry with their father. (red marlboroughs i think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdmnQeY4hpk

Mr Wild
Mon Jan 04, 2010, 10:34 AM
Congratulations! Why did you take Mum out?

Ben75
Mon Jan 04, 2010, 11:52 PM
Hi Simmo,
Congrats on the fry mate, time to get the bbs going.
great video & sound track, i never get tired of seeing fry on the parents flank.
Cheers,
Ben.

simmo2302
Tue Jan 05, 2010, 02:55 AM
sound track was just the kids mucking round in the back ground while the TV was on.

unfortunately no LFS does bbs up here, eggs or live. i can only order some frozen bbs. so that will have to do.

or they have some dry fry food. so i might give that ago.

my discus r fed primarily on bloodworms, but i do have some adult frozen brine shrimp aswell, i defrost them, mash them up a bit, suck them up into a syringe and squirt them near the side of the father.

the fry chase it a bit, but then go back tot he fathers side.

I took the mother out, cos she looked after them equally for the first 5 days but then i caught her lunging at his sides picking them off and not spitting them back out (eating them obviosuly)

so she went into my QT tank.

there was origionally close to 80-100 babys to begin with. now as you can see i m down to about 40-50 or there abouts. hard to count they keep moving.

i have noticed that some of the babys are speckled, while others are white to see thru still. both parents r the same breed with the same markings etc. so it will be interesting to see how they develop.

Ben75
Wed Jan 06, 2010, 03:31 AM
Keep us updated on there progress mate.
"up Here" were are you from ? if you don't mind me askin.
Regards,

simmo2302
Wed Jan 06, 2010, 10:47 PM
hervey bay, QLD. funny i swear i had the in my profile

simmo2302
Tue Jan 26, 2010, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYeUOU0sD2c

4 & 1/2 week old fry now :-)

swampy1972
Tue Jan 26, 2010, 10:28 AM
Simmo,
You've done a great job getting them to this far. They look well fed! Looks like some are getting colour in the fins already, nice one!
Keep us updated as they colour up..