PDA

View Full Version : Which fish to remove from tank before Levamisole/Prazi dose

RDavies
Sat Dec 19, 2009, 09:50 PM
Now that I have all the fish I intend to get for a while, after buying a fair few fish, I want to give them some prevetative doses of Levamisole and then some Praziquantal.
As you can see from my signature, I have bristlenoses, snails, cherry shrimp, Royal Whiptail among others. I wanted to dose the main tank and all Discus, so which fish should removed to a separate tank during treatment? I am hoping the fish I remove arent carriers who will just reintroduce them to the main tank?

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Dec 20, 2009, 05:05 AM
I wouldnt remove anything.

RDavies
Sun Dec 20, 2009, 06:44 AM
So, you think even the snails, shrimp and catfish will be fine?

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:30 AM
I wouldnt remove anything.

ILLUSN
Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:36 AM
if you dont treat the snails you'll get re infected, snails are perfect intemediate hosts for both round and flat worms

RDavies
Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
OK, then tomorrow morning, everything will get dosed. It is the 1st time I have medicated any fish so I wanted to be sure.
Thanks for the help.

BobbyBruce
Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:12 PM
Hi,

I hope that all is going well for you. On reading the instructions/cautions on my Prazi medication it says...

"Use with caution when treating aquariums with snails and catfish (corydoras spp). If adverse effects occur, discontinue treatment and change 50% of aquarium water."

Regards,

Bob

RDavies
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:26 AM
OK, I will be adding the Levamisole first. The brand I have is Kilverm, but has the same ingrediants, I have set up another tank and if the cories or others start to show bad signs, I will put them into the other non medicated tank to recover. I have the royal whiptail in the spare tank, if other fish seem OK, I will put him in the main (medicated)tank .
The Levamisole is blue coloured. Is this the same as the Big L?
I will add the Prazi in a week.

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:45 AM
Hi,

I hope that all is going well for you. On reading the instructions/cautions on my Prazi medication it says...

"Use with caution when treating aquariums with snails and catfish (corydoras spp). If adverse effects occur, discontinue treatment and change 50% of aquarium water."

Regards,

Bob

This is the problem with comunity tanks, often you have to choose which fish you value more, your discus, or your cats and snails. the risk is if yount treat everything your fish will get re infected.

Generally a bare bottom specific species tank is better for discus care its just not what everyone is happy with.

TW
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 07:18 AM
I have treated my community tanks with sterbai cories & ottos. Not saying it will necessarily be so for you, but in my tank everyone was just fine after the treatment. I didn't have other catfish in the tank.

On pleco fanatics (I think that's the forum's name - or close to it anyway) they have threads saying you can use levamisole & prazo on BN's. In a separate tank, I've done that with my peppermints too. Again, no issues.

I don't have shrimps or whiptails though.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:37 AM
I have recently used Big L with otos and shrimp in the tank and had no problems.

bartek
Tue Dec 22, 2009, 10:43 PM
I have used both medications in a my community tank with BNs, Discus, Tetras, SAE, Ottos, Panchax, Apistos and Torpedo barbs with no problems.