PDA

View Full Version : UV Clarifier or UV Steriliser

TW
Mon Dec 14, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hi All

Always thought these were the same, but a LFS just told me there is a difference. Says that with the UV Clarifiers, the water does not pass as close to the UV light as it does with a UV steriliser.

He says the PondMaster is a clarifier and not a steriliser, and will not be as effective for disease control as a steriliser would be. Says it is intended for ponds & algae control. He was not trying to talk me out of a PondMaster at all, but was sharing what he said was the difference between the two.

I had almost decided to buy the PondMaster, but now once again I am confused.

Can anyone add their thoughts to this. I’m running out of time to decide, as I want to set this all up before some fish arrive.

Any help appreciated.

ILLUSN
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 12:37 AM
your LFS is full of it a clarifier and a sterilizer are the same thing just a clarifier is a lower wattage sterilizer.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 02:22 AM
The manufacturers just need to do some extra testing to be able to call it a sterilizer.

They are the same thing. The important thing is watts vs flow.

What was the other brand?

TW
Tue Dec 15, 2009, 02:32 AM
I was asking him about his PondMasters, which he had listed as a "Clarifier". I asked him the difference between a clarifier and a steriliser & he said it was wattage, flow rate & closeness to light. He said a steriliser has the water flow closer to the light and that no-one should be calling a PondMaster a steriliser. He said a clarifer's purpose was algae control and a steriliser's purpose was disease control.

We didn't discuss an alternative to the PondMaster.