PDA

View Full Version : Submersible aquarium heaters

Ben
Tue Feb 15, 2005, 10:41 PM
1/, which brand name heaters do we find the best
2/ how long do we use them until purchasing new ones
3/ is it better to get the big watt’s when using for discus,
e.g., a 300-watt heater in a standard 4-foot as apposed to a 250 watt
4/have they stopped making those not quite submersible heaters?

I was admiring my pretties yesterday, and I thought nothing last forever, especially those heaters! In not so bad during summer as the heaters don’t have much heating to do, but those that live in the colder parts of Australia, The heaters would be almost running constantly. I would HATE it for one of those heaters thermostat to break and cook the fish!
Has anyone had this happen? I have only heard of it happening?
Also if the heater was brand new and lets say, less than 1 month old and the above example happened, and lets say hyperthetically $1000- worth of fish got turned into bouillabaisse soup, Could the manufacturer be sued?
I guess it would be like a car’s air bag not being deployed!

What about you big guy’s? Like SLS and Sunshine discus, do you have a routine where the heaters are changed lets say every 2 years?

What are thoughts? we all have them!
and we all use them! except those lucky enough to live near the equator!

Cheers and thanks for the feed back!
Ben

funkyfish
Tue Feb 15, 2005, 11:59 PM
i lik visa therm they have been good heater's for me it get's cold for six to seven months a year so i use them all the time i also have a won titanium heater i got it bout a month ago so how nows bout that one so far so good

kevkoi
Wed Feb 16, 2005, 12:48 AM
:lol: At SLS and quarantine room. we have a 300W titanium heater in the sump. 24 Tanks are run on a system with a large UVsteriliser (bulb changed every 6months).

The main temperature control on the systems though is not the submersible heaters... it is the reverse cycle air-conditioning in the fish room and the shop. :wink: It's rock steady at 25degrees C in shop and 26-27 in the quarantine. :wink: Summer all year round.

bob
Fri Feb 18, 2005, 03:20 AM
is better to put heater in sump than in tank . I have 60 US gal tank Bob