PDA

View Full Version : Building a CO2 system, Help please :)

dimka100
Wed Dec 02, 2009, 04:49 AM
Hi Guys,

I would like to build a proper pressurized CO2 system for my new 6 x 2 x 2 tank.

I know that I need a Bottle, regulator, diffuser , and bubble counter. However I’m not sure which to get so I don’t end up with components that don’t match and spend an arm and leg.

With the bottle I was thinking of hiring one? Is that a good idea? Where would be a good place in Sydney (near the city)?

Regulator – I seen some for sale on eBay for under $100, what do I need to look out for such that I can connect it to a standard bottle?

Thanks

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 02, 2009, 11:33 AM
if your going to hire a bottle at ~$80 a year just bite the bullet and buy one from my kegs on legs you'll have covered your cost in 4years.

as for a reg, dont buy cheap, get a decent one with some support, TUNZE are good, JBL, SERA, also good, havn't tried a red sea, or an azoo but i hear good things also.

all use a std CO2 thread which is 1/2inch male manifold your cylinder should have one, if not go to bunnings and get some brass adaptors from the plumbing section for ~$3

if you want to super cheep and can "find" a co2 fire extinguisher somewhere you could always do this for a total cost of $225

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12127

aquafrogstuff
Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:42 PM
I went through the same process about a year ago. Spend some time looking through various posts on this forum as there is good info scattered around the place. I ended up with the Red Sea kit and haven't had any issues. I've hired a 6.5L bottle from BOC. I did'nt get a pH control and I don't turn the CO2 off at night. I'm running 3bubbles per second and haven't had any issues (touch wood).

dimka100
Thu Dec 03, 2009, 04:34 AM
ILLUSN, do you know where I can hire a bottle for $80 in Sydney? most I found are much more expensive than that.

Thanks

ILLUSN
Thu Dec 03, 2009, 04:44 AM
WHEN I last looked(2007) BOC did hire a D size bottle @ $79 a year could have gone up since then

TW
Thu Dec 03, 2009, 04:45 AM
ILLUSN, do you know where I can hire a bottle for $80 in Sydney? most I found are much more expensive than that.

Thanks

that's why IMO you're much better off to buy. Check out www.mykegonlegs.com.au

dimka100
Fri Dec 04, 2009, 04:15 AM
How much would a normal cylinder like that cost?

TW
Fri Dec 04, 2009, 09:37 AM
I bought my bottle from mykegonlegs, in March 2008. At that time my 4.5kg bottle cost $265.00. Although you buy the bottle, it is a swap & go system from there on.

swampy1972
Fri Dec 04, 2009, 08:26 PM
Hi,
Have look at this site.. These guys are rught into aquatic landscapes and are a great source of info about CO2 setup.
Here's a recent add for a complete CO2 setup, very cheap! Goodluck.
http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php?t=19360