PDA

View Full Version : Tank size

swampy1972
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hi,
Can I get your opinions on which tank to buy. I'm tryng to decide between a 6x2x2 or 6x2.5x2
I saw a post relating to water quality vs volume and since I'm away alot with work and unable to do frequent H2O changes, I should prob' go for as much volume as possible.
Will the extra 165ltr make a decernable difference and so is the extra expense worth it?
I look forward to hear your thoughts.

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 12:10 PM
the extra capacity will make a lot of diffrence, 165L is slightly bigger then a standard 4foot tank (4x12x18) with a nice big 6x2x2,5 you could stock 8-10 fish with good filtration and get away with once a week water changes no problem you might even strech it out to once a fortnight if you did a nice big one, ageing 400+ L for a water change might be a problem though if you wated to go down the 1 water change a fortnight road.

swampy1972
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 09:25 PM
Cheers ILLUSN, you've made that decision easy for me.
My fish are generally lucky to get fortnightly changes now in their 400lt system.. it's just a sad side effect of being in the Defence Force. They get pampered when I'm home though!
I try to offset this by lots of filtration. The sump runs at 3500lt/hr and I have an Ehiem canister doing 1200lt/hr running out of the bottom area of the sump.
My Wife helps out were she can when I'm away, but I think I'll try and setup a semi auto H2O changer in the new setup.
It's a Xmas project for me with DIY stand so I'll try taking pics to post later.

swampy1972
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 09:30 PM
Next question guys.
I've just picked up a 3'x18"x14" sump. I'm thinking of modifying it to replicate the one in Hollowman's post.
Will this have enough media volume for the tank in the above post?
Thanks

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
should be overkill which is always nice just put a good pump on it and try and turn the tank over atleast twice an hour