PDA

View Full Version : PT.Nigerian Red Pair Missing in Action

TW
Fri Nov 20, 2009, 09:41 AM
Hi guys

I bought a pair of PT Nigerian Red's last night. Not really a pair, just a male and a female. Did a water change tonight. They are nowhere to be seen. There are lots of caves, but I can't tell if they're in there, but assume they must be. But whether they went in there & died - that's the question. I'll give them a day or so to front up & then start pulling the caves out.

Dang, hope they're still alive.

Hassles
Fri Nov 20, 2009, 11:43 AM
well they're pretty robust fish I am sure they'll be OK. Maybe just unsettled into their new home & hiding ? ? ?

TW
Fri Nov 20, 2009, 11:50 AM
I'm stumped actually. I haven't pulled the caves out, but have looked into them all very carefully. I don't think they are in the tank !

The lid wasn't on properly, so it's possible they could have jumped .... but ..... water line is 9cm below tank rim and I can't find any bodies on the floor.

I will be sorry to have lost them, but I'm glad it wasn't the the A.agassizii Fire Red pair. They are swimming happily front & centre in their tank.

gingerbeer01
Fri Nov 20, 2009, 10:05 PM
I would love to see pictures of both of these - are you going to breed the aggies?

Hassles
Sat Nov 21, 2009, 12:45 PM
I'm stumped actually. I haven't pulled the caves out, but have looked into them all very carefully. I don't think they are in the tank !

The lid wasn't on properly, so it's possible they could have jumped .... but ..... water line is 9cm below tank rim and I can't find any bodies on the floor.

I will be sorry to have lost them, but I'm glad it wasn't the the A.agassizii Fire Red pair. They are swimming happily front & centre in their tank.

Apistogramma with Kribensis ? not a good idea. The West Africans could easily take out the South Americans. I mean Kribensis can be amazingly aggressive.

TW
Sat Nov 21, 2009, 03:27 PM
Not in the same tank Hassles, and I'm very glad that's so.

Tonight at wc, I wondered why the tank with the nigerian reds was looking a little cloudy. Hubby & I were going out for dinner shortly, so I decided I must clean the filter in the morning & thought no more.

Went out to tea. Then at 1.30am, lying in bed, it dawned on me.

Thursday night I installed an eheim prefilter. Had it for several years, but as the instructions were missing when I bought it brand new, I never used it previously. There is a little plug - I didn't know what it was for and so I didn't use it. Once I thought of this possibility, I knew I wouldn't sleep until I investigated. I found that by not using the plug, there was an opening sucking water straight up the out pipe leading to the filter.
When I opened the filter, it was truly heartbreaking. They were in the bottom of the filter, all ripped apart. There was also a tiny peppermint, not ripped up, but also dead.

I not very happy and quite angry with myself for this.

gingerbeer01
Sat Nov 21, 2009, 07:19 PM
shit! Feel for ya.

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Nov 21, 2009, 08:55 PM
Ouch !!!!

Hassles
Sun Nov 22, 2009, 12:59 AM
I not very happy and quite angry with myself for this.

I have a very dear friend. Sometime ago, after months of searching, I finally managed to source a number of Calico bristlenose. My friend, well she had been breeding Peppermints, common, Albino & Orange Spot for ages. I matured these Calicos up and bred them myself, the 2-dozen fry are growing nicely in my tank not yet large enough to leave home. I offered my friend the breeding pair as I had essentially matured them on her behalf. When she came to collect them they could not be found. Somehow, I had managed to scare them so much in attempts to stir the last of the crud out of the substrate that they mnaged to get to the top of the water column and seek refuge in the outlet pipe of my filter where they both drowned. This was 3 days ago. These are what we refer to as 'fish room mishaps'. I ain't happy, in fact I was devestated, my gesture ruined.

Will you be able to replace your P. taeniatus ?

take care

TW
Mon Nov 23, 2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks for kind words all. Sorry about your calico, Hassles.

Will you be able to replace your P. taeniatus ? I would have tried, but I've just found access to a group of wild discus, so all my spare cash is gone.

jluna
Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:13 PM
sorry to hear about this robyn - it's such a bummer when our stupidity/carelessness leads to fish deaths. we've all done it - just another lesson to learn.