PDA

View Full Version : discus gone crazy.

xrboy_85
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:21 AM
Hey guys just got ready to do a water change and my guys went ballistic thrashing around the tank. now a few of them have some pretty bad flash wounds around their gills and forehead.

is their any particular water parameters that will excentuate this??

current perameters are
temp 29
ph 6
kh70ppm
and currentley phosphate 3
nitrate very low before water change

thanks Justin

m.ingram
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:35 AM
Have u checked the ammonia and nitrites.
As It could be high ammonia

xrboy_85
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:52 AM
Hi M

no i havnt i dont have those test kits. however i have done a 50% water change every day for the last 3 days??

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 06:12 AM
sounds like shock could temp, pH or just chlorine in the water, try adding some salt to help the wounds heal.

xrboy_85
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 08:01 AM
thanks jothy

Hollowman
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 01:32 PM
You need to get yourself the right set of test kits

xrboy_85
Thu Nov 19, 2009, 11:17 PM
hey guys just an update, i did another water change on wed night and added some more plant cuttings i had in my storage tank, which surprisingly seems to have gtiven them some more confidence. i can walk past the tank now lights on or off and they seem to be much calmer. I had been speraking to my lfs guy and he had said that the more plants the better as they release hormones in the water which calm the fish down?? so myth or not it seems to have made a difference.

Justin

Hollowman
Fri Nov 20, 2009, 06:33 AM
I had been speraking to my lfs guy and he had said that the more plants the better as they release hormones in the water which calm the fish down??
Justin

Sorry Xr, I just had to pick myself off the floor I was laughing so much. :roll: :roll: :shock: I have never heard of this ever. Hormones!!!! :lol:
Please do not rely on his advice. Ask here first.

Yes, plant cover can help. But it gives fish places to hide, and they will hide if you let them. My fish are in completely bare tanks, no cover at all, and they all fight their way to the front of the tanks to meet me. Just give them time, and give them a reason to greet you, give them a little food when you pass.

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Nov 20, 2009, 11:15 PM
Can you come over and help me up too..... LOL.

Every time i hear advice given by an LFS it reminds me of the time i had a bet with a mate at the pub that i could start a ridiculous rumour and within a week some one would be telling me as though it was some amazing fact that they had found out. I told a few guys i knew that people in really poor villages in China sell their hair to make paint brushes. Sure enough the following Friday night some other guy was telling his mate all about it. i lost the bet as noone told me directly.

I find the crazy advice given by most LFS and pet shops absolutely hilarious.