PDA

View Full Version : Do you have air stones with discus?

LMAN
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 03:15 AM
Hi Everyone,
Just asking do you have air stones with discus?
Cheers

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 03:48 AM
I have airstones with all my fish you need to have oxygen in the tank and it moves the water surface as well. So yes.
Where do you live? I am near Taree.

m.ingram
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 03:48 AM
Hey Lman
Yes you do need air stones with discus .
As the water lacks oxygen due to high temps .

LMAN
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:04 AM
Thanks Mr Wild and m.ingram

Mr Wild, I am near Lismore Far North NSW

LMAN
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 05:14 AM
Woul I be able swap the air stone for a rain bar when breeding?

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
Whats a rainbar?
for air and further filtration even though I have cannister filters on my display tanks I run sponge filters in the tanks at the back. That way if I need to setup a tank quickly I have bacteria in the sponge filter ready to go.
I have found it very handy at times and when breeding you use sponge filters!

LMAN
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 09:24 PM
Whats a rainbar?
for air and further filtration even though I have cannister filters on my display tanks I run sponge filters in the tanks at the back. That way if I need to setup a tank quickly I have bacteria in the sponge filter ready to go.
I have found it very handy at times and when breeding you use sponge filters!

A rain bar is a pipe off your power head or cannister filter that has a row of holes (5-7mm apart) and connects onto your outlet hose (for cannister filters) and straight off your discharge (for power head filters). You can have sit above, below or level with the water surface. It gives you less current.
Cheers

TW
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 10:10 PM
If you put your spray bar above the water level, that also oxygenates your water. To bring oxygen in, you need to agitate the water surface, so arranging your return water to break up the surface will do this just as well.

I do have a sponge filter (bubbling in the air) in most of my discus tanks, but not in my planted discus tank. I keep that tank at 28 and because C02 is pumped in, I particularly do not want the water surface being agitated (C02 will escape).

LMAN
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks TW,
I will hopefully have my discus this saturday. 4 or 5 of what ever I get.
Setting tank up thisarvo with dam water and putting cannister off old tank that will be shutting down and see how she goes.
Cheers LMAN

TW
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 10:36 PM
Have fun !

Mr Wild
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 11:34 PM
Oh ok Rain bar = spray bar for me! LOL

I have sponges in all my tanks as well and yes all my cannisters have spray bars BUT I havew mine under the water, its just a noise issue for me.
HTH

TW
Mon Nov 16, 2009, 11:59 PM
I call them spray bars too LOL

Yes, there is more noise with spray bars raised. But you don't need to have them so high that they splash down. For instance, you can position the spray bar so it's bottom just rests on the water surface, but with the holes turned slighty up. This causes only a gentle noise above. The higher above the water level the spray bar, the greater the noise.

If you are not running C02 in your tank, like Kath says, having a sponge filter is a good option. They don't cost much (just need an air pump to run it). It's always good to have one there, as in an emergency if you need a QT tank set up, you can transfer the sponge filter across easily.

LMAN
Tue Nov 17, 2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks for everyone's help.
4ft tank is up and running with fish already in it.
Cheers LMAN