PDA

View Full Version : Is my aquarium over crowded?

daniel6989
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 08:04 PM
Hi, there I have just set up my discus aquarium. I have a 230 Litre tank.

Right now I have 5 discus...young ones, 10 rummy nose tetras and 10 cardinal tetras, 2 ramirezis, 1 clown loach, 1 cory.

Do you think it is over crowded?

to be honest I tried to rmove a couple of rummy nose tetras but I couldnt manage to catch them...too fast. any suggestions?

Till what size will my discus grow in this tank?

feedback would be greatly appricaited

Hollowman
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:16 PM
Is the tank planted ? if so, then yes, you are pushing the limits imo.

We normally say 40 to 50 liters per adult fish. What is your water change regime? how much do you change ? how often? You should be looking at at least 30% 2-3 times a week. Also what are your water parameters??

Also, I would remove the clown loach if you want to reduce the load a bit. They are not the best fish to have with discus, they are too quick and will make the discus jumpy.

hth

daniel6989
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:33 PM
hi, thanks for the reply. i do a 30% partial change every 5 days. i feed the discus 2 a day with bloodworms...which they are crazy for. My aquarium consists of 4 medium sized rocks at the bottom, a log 230mm long, and one 30cm plastic plant.

What do you think? Should i remove the clown loach and a couple of rummy nose tetras?

What is the maximum size i should expect for my discus?

I have another question....for example + have bought

daniel6989
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:37 PM
a juvenile red discus, which is obviously not red in colour....when can i expect the redness to become visible?

The water parameters are 7.4-7.5ph and 80-100ppm hardness which is approx equivalent to 6¤

Hollowman
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:56 PM
I would still get rid of the loach.

You need to feed your discus a varied diet, bloodworm is an occasional treat for mine, not a staple or only food. Get a good granular food like tetra prima or tony tan, get some beefheart, brine shrimp, chopped mussels, Austrailian black worms, etc etc, do some reading on foods.

Discus can grow to 8" SL (standard length) so given the right conditions they can get BIG
I would double your water change, 30% every 3-4 days minimum. If you scrimp on this, the water quality will drop, and your fish will not grow. Beware!! :wink: