PDA

View Full Version : Beef Heart bad for discus?

kristina
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 04:31 AM
Looking at making a beefheart mix up for my discus and a guy from the lfs said not to give them beefheart as it is way too fatty for them and it's not part of their diet in the wild so it's not advisable. What's good about it for the discus and what precautions should I take when makin it for them in a mixture? While on the same topic, is lamb heart ok? Also looking into throwing some fresh seafood in the mix also. What are the big No-No's to make sure I avoid them. I have seen lots of recipes with prawns and fish meat etc but what about some of the more exotic seafood options like octopus and mussels and sea scallops etc? To be honest I have only bought them food from the lfs including live foods and frozen but I don't have a clue on where to start with making my own. Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Kristina

ILLUSN
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 05:26 AM
Heart is THE leanest tissue in the body. It is an excellen source of protein and a great way to add bulk to a fish. you dont feed them pure beefheart you mix it with prawns, fish and veggies, beefheart should only make up about 25-30% of the mix.

a good mix is obne from merrilyn, bassicly 2 part beefheart to 1 part white fish, 1 part red fish (salmon or scollops with roe), 1 part prawns, 1/2 a part veggies (peas spineach carrots all steamed till soft), + a little vitamins (sera fishtamins or promore/progrowth) a whole garlic, a couple of tablespoons of spirolina and a little geletin to bind it all together. you could get tricky and add a little b complex and natu rose to it just give it a little more goodness.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:14 AM
What are you suggesting???? That the guy at the LFS was incorrect !!!!! OMFG !!!!!!

;)

Hollowman
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 06:17 PM
It's like banging you head against a brick wall :shock: :shock: :roll:

Heart is one of the best foods for discus as ILLUSN has said. There are many recipies on the net.

Just make sure you use a very sharp knife and cut off all fatty deposits and veins, also the heart has a thin skin on to, so get this off too.

hth Oh.....and ask here before you ask this muppet in your lfs :lol:

kristina
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:32 PM
Ado: I'm sure you mean to help but you come across seriously rude and nasty initially.

I'm asking on here because this is a topic I'm not familiar with and I have obviously heard conflicting stories about Beef Heart. I appreciate all the help given, Especially ILLUSN. But for my questions, can I use lamb heart and can I use seafood such as mussels, sea scallops and octopus/squid?

Thanks
Kristina

Hollowman
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm asking on here because this is a topic I'm not familiar with and I have obviously heard conflicting stories about Beef Heart.

But for my questions, can I use lamb heart and can I use seafood such as mussels, sea scallops and octopus/squid?

Thanks
Kristina

Kristina,

I think Ado's sarcastic remark was made because we hear so many times of your lfs keeper giving rubbish advice. I only know of one lfs keeper who really knows her stuff. She knows who she is :wink:

That aside, yes there have been conflicting stories bumping around since a world famous discus explorer dropped a few comments in public a little while ago.
Ok, it is not a natural food for them, but as has been already said, it is one of the best foods for discus. Jorg Stendker, the biggest discus producer in europe feeds only beefheart, I use his mix as well as another uk made product, I have also made my own.
Ox heart/beef heart has the best nutritional value for good growth but is also the lowest fat content. So, your question about lamb heart is a good one, but I would still go for Ox heart. Plus they are huge, so more meat for yor $$.
The addition of mussels, sea scallops and octopus/squid will all be good. I feed my fish chopped cooked mussels once a day as they are, adding to a beef mix will be fine. I have not heard of people using squid or octopus, but do not see this as a problem.

There are many recipies on the net, have a look around.

I hope that helps a bit. Just feel free to ask again if you have more questions, we'll get you sorted.

Steve

kristina
Wed Nov 11, 2009, 11:21 AM
Sorry Ado, I honestly don't know how I should take some of your comments. I initially think you are being rude, then try to understand that you might just be sarcastic but either way I know you mean well, there's no other reason to write anything... So yeah, I think a sarcasm font is needed.

Thanks for the help Steve. I hadn't though of lamb heart until the butcher only had that available and so I pondered it and it floated around in the vast open spaces for a while. The octopus is merely because I can buy a bulk seafood mix bag close to where I am that is very reasonably priced and it has that so it would be silly of me not to look into it.

I don't necessarily want to put all the added supplements in the mix as I am going to have the mix as a part of their existing diet and it will just make it a bit easier and cheaper to make up. In other words, if they are getting enough nutrients from their exising diet I'm only making this to give them another variety to add to their menu.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Kris

Hollowman
Wed Nov 11, 2009, 12:37 PM
No problem, let us know how it goes :wink:

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Nov 12, 2009, 03:37 AM
Sorry. I figured that it was obviously sarcastic. ;)

Hollowman
Thu Nov 12, 2009, 06:59 PM
Sorry. I figured that it was obviously sarcastic. ;)

Ado, I just think that not all people know that their lfs is not the best place for advice. There are some exceptions of course. :wink:

kristina
Thu Nov 12, 2009, 08:12 PM
I dare not say who said this. VERY well known and VERY highly respected. Not just a dumb kid in the shop. Thus I was conflicted as to whether Beef Heart was good or not for them. Ado it's not just this post that I did not know how to take, it's many of yours so I'm assuming I just don't get your sense of humor.

lpiasente
Thu Nov 12, 2009, 08:38 PM
We get it, he gives me a good laugh. Maybe just take what he is saying a little lighter and take notice of those little funny faces he puts at the end of his statements they usually explain it on their own. :D Have fun making the beefheart mix it is nice and messy.
Cheers Leanne

Hollowman
Thu Nov 12, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hey Leanne :shock: :wave1 :birthday :spam :laff4 :argue :banghead :blob2 :monkey :scratch :xmas3 :newbie :coffee :angel :walk :twisted: :mrgreen: :wave1

You know what I mean :wink:

kristina
Fri Nov 13, 2009, 02:19 AM
You see now that I understand :P

lpiasente
Sat Nov 14, 2009, 09:43 AM
hahahaha :lol: