PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating for a week? advice appreciated

xrboy_85
Thu Nov 05, 2009, 10:01 PM
MOrning all iv been meaning to post all week but havnt been able to.

late last week i noticed my 12cm leopard turk went off all food, he is still moving around ok at times is a little dark but not black, he has been hovering down the back of the tank on his own and when it's dinner time everyone else comes to say hi but him. this morning i noticed he was doing the fluke thing where he was brushing up against drift wood etc. auto pilot said salt and pp straight away as i had to dash out to work was i correct in doing this?

Ps. does parental sick leave count for family fish?? ha ha ha

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 06, 2009, 12:09 AM
PP was a good ide it will need a repeat treatment in 5-7 days might be worth doing a treatment for internal paracites aswell try levimenisole 1st and see if that brings back the appitite.

xrboy_85
Fri Nov 06, 2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks Jothy, have just done a %40 w/c and he seems to be a fair bit happier, ill keep an eye on him and i might get some levi and metro to have in reserve. I reached for the pp after reading steve's post a little while ago on the BIDKA forum, i didnt think it could do any harm.

will keep you posted
cheers Justin

TW
Fri Nov 06, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hi Justin

Glad he seems to be picking up. I couldn't tell from your first post if you did a long term, or short term PP bath. I wouldn't recommend leaving the house while he's in PP, as you need to be there to watch for any adverse reaction

xrboy_85
Sat Nov 07, 2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks TW

i had them in there all day then did a %40 water change last night. i didnt put that much pp in and it didnt really even turn the water purple.but i dosed epsom salt 8 desert spoons. tank is 425 ltrs.

Hollowman
Sat Nov 07, 2009, 06:28 AM
You can treat with pp in a bucket, no need to dose the mass of water. :wink:

xrboy_85
Sat Nov 07, 2009, 08:50 AM
Hi Steve

have done a big water change last night to start fresh and have purchased some fluke worm treatment this arvo, so ill try that over the nxt two weeks and see if i can rid it for good.

when i self medicated it the other morning i just did a normal salt bath and put some pp in for good luck quantity would have been jsut enough to cover my pinky finger nail. and i didnt want to distress them any more by taking them out of the tank,

once i have got rid of these flukes i am going to start focussing on getting my plant growth flourishing so that my water is stable and perfect. i have taken a liking to a local lfs fella who has been in the game for a long time and has always given me good honest advice talked me out of buying products that look and sound like a good idea, tought me a little about water basics etc and how healthy plants mean healthy everything else

cheers justin

TW
Sun Nov 08, 2009, 05:50 AM
Hi Justin

There is a good sticky here somewhere about doing a PP bath. Tells you how to make up your PP into a stock solution for easy dosing.

Repeated treatments are required to for gill fluke treatment, IMO.