PDA

View Full Version : RO & Remineralisation

Hassles
Tue Nov 03, 2009, 10:48 AM
May I ask if anyone here is employing Reverse Osmosis water which they then remineralise ? If so, what remineralistion methods do you use ? eg: blend with unfiltered water / use the addition of pre-packaged minerals and salts and what type etc

My Discus are happy but I keep some of my Apistos in a PH of around 4.5 by blending filtered and unfiltered water and was pondering about the possible addition of beneficial minerals hence my query above.

thanks

Mr Wild
Tue Nov 03, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hi Hassles

I have had to remineralise the water here so I do know some products but before I get into that have you checked your TDS? Do you know what you are keeping the fish at? PH is only one parameter and while you are mixing RO and tap water you might find you actually have enough minerals and trace elements from you tap water to provide sufficient for your RO/tap mix.

Better to check first, fish can have the same type of osmotic shock from raising / lowering TDS too fast as they do from PH shocks, you will need to know where you are to start with as you should only move the TDS within 50ppm at a time. HTH