PDA

View Full Version : Which expendable fish to use to cycle tank

RDavies
Mon Nov 02, 2009, 11:02 AM
OK, Ive spent a decent amount of money putting the nice 6" tank in the lounge, though it looks a little sick at the moment. (Only added water, substrate and floating drift wood a few days ago) Now the family is giving me funny looks when I say it will be a while before fish can go into it. Which fish would you recommend I use to cycle the tank? The fish dont have to be kept in once its cycled. Can goldfish and guppies be used for a few weeks until I move them into a kids tank? Or would something like Tetras be better and maybe a Siamese fighting fish with the temp turned up be better.

ILLUSN
Mon Nov 02, 2009, 12:29 PM
best fish I've used are bristlenoses, they tollerate a good range of not so good water and poo ALOT, just what you need to get your cycle going.

Greggy
Mon Nov 02, 2009, 01:16 PM
Why not use a dead prawn?

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Nov 02, 2009, 06:55 PM
I second the prawn. Why torture a fish when there is an alternative. You would have to use quite a few fish also to build up the bacteria to an adequate level.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Nov 02, 2009, 06:55 PM
Or get some media from an established filter.

Hollowman
Mon Nov 02, 2009, 09:09 PM
Fishless cycles are the way, why would you want to harm a live animal?

RDavies
Tue Nov 03, 2009, 09:56 AM
I wasnt aiming to harm a living animal but I know millions of people have just dumped gold fish and guppies into a new tank. I thinking of putting them in my tank for a few weeks, then crank the temp up and put the gold fish in the pond, and guppies in the kids tank. I suppose they will still help to cycle the tank and have something in it.

Hollowman
Tue Nov 03, 2009, 03:09 PM
I know you were not intending to harm the fish, but it still affects them. Fishless is probably the better wat to go as you are not introducing ANY fish derived contaminants, therefore you start on a level playing field. Ok, so the tank has no fish in it to watch, but the one thing to learn when keeping discus is 'patience'

Still, its up to you, we can only advise. :wink:

aquafrogstuff
Thu Nov 05, 2009, 08:58 AM
I agree with BigDaddyAdo, speak to a local aquarium shop about buying some of their filter media. I have done this before. Some of them are willing to do it, then you don't need to use 'disposable' fish for cycle the tank. Tetras wouldn't get the bacteria cultures you need soon eneough anyway. why not post a message on this forum and see if you have any luck. If you were in Brisbane, I'd help you out. Good luck.

aquafrogstuff
Thu Nov 05, 2009, 09:10 AM
I agree with BigDaddyAdo, speak to a local aquarium shop about buying some of their filter media. I have done this before. Some of them are willing to do it, then you don't need to use 'disposable' fish for cycle the tank. Tetras wouldn't get the bacteria cultures you need soon eneough anyway. why not post a message on this forum and see if you have any luck. If you were in Brisbane, I'd help you out. Good luck.

TW
Fri Nov 06, 2009, 09:17 AM
A lot of people do cycle with hardy fish and although they don't realise it, and don't mean the fish any harm, this process does cause some internal harm to the fish. They are inevitably exposed to the harmful ammonia and the nitrite during the course of the cycle. On the flip side, an empty tank will not cycle - you do need a source of ammonia to get the cycle going.

I would recommend a fishless cycle using either clear ammonia or the dead prawn. I prefer the clear ammonia, as the dead prawn can get a little stinky. You can buy clear ammonia here
http://www.ammonchlor.com/main_index.html

mpayjr
Sun Nov 08, 2009, 12:34 PM
That happened to me once. I had a red dragon discus that I was using for my beginning cycle. Only to find out a week later that he had ammonia bun and died.

You should never under any circumstances use a hardy fish. Go out and buy a group a smaller fish, maybe potential ones you will be keeping in the tank, or temporary. Smaller cheaper fish are easier to lose than having a discus lost.

mpayjr
Sun Nov 08, 2009, 12:36 PM
That happened to me once. I had a red dragon discus that I was using for my beginning cycle. Only to find out a week later that he had ammonia bun and died.

You should never under any circumstances use a hardy fish. Go out and buy a group a smaller fish, maybe potential ones you will be keeping in the tank, or temporary. Smaller cheaper fish are easier to lose than having a discus lost.

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 30, 2009, 12:32 PM
That's a great link TW.

Thanks for sharing. Pure ammonia (i.e. not cloudy ammonia) has been very hard to find. I think this will solve a lot of problems.