PDA

View Full Version : Does colour of substrate effect colour of Discus?

RDavies
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 12:39 AM
I would like to bring out the best colour in my Discus. What colour substrate is best for this? Light or dark?

BigDaddyAdo
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 01:45 AM
What discus do you have?

RDavies
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 04:25 AM
I havent had Discus for 25 years, I am just setting up a new 6 foot tank for Discus at the moment and have some river gravel in, but want to top it up so I can start the tank cycling. I am leaning towards the ADA Amazonia substrate at the moment and have seen the Live version in thier website..

Hollowman
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 08:51 AM
You still have not suggested the strain you would like to keep. It will affect the fish. Discus will try to 'blend' with their surroundings, which can dull them / darken them, or if you go for PB based fish, can make a small amount od peppering look like a lot off peppering. hth

For me, in a display tank, I prefer to use swimming pool filter sand. Generally, a light colour works out best

RDavies
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 09:53 AM
I was hoping to go for Turquise, blue or green, scibble or leopards. I might even go for a Heckel if I can get a good one. I wasnt going for the single colour types, I like the stripes and bands.

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:41 AM
dark substrate really brings out the blues in your fish, you'll also see the stress bars more often as they try and comoflage in, i like it but do not put pigion derived fish in or they will pepper badly.