PDA

View Full Version : Substrate for Discus tank

RDavies
Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:07 PM
I need to top up the gravel in my Discus tank and looking round, some of them advertise that they raise the PH for Chiclids, probably not the best for what I want. Are there any recommendations for substrate for Discus?

jesx57
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 12:01 AM
I prefer sand, but there are a few substrates that actually lower the pH if that's what you're after - the ADA subtrates will do it. Depends if you have a planted tank though, otherwise you could go with plain river gravel, at least its inert. Other ones for a planted tank that don't raise the pH - Eco-complete and Seachem Flourite. Be warned though, you will pay for these bases. But if you just want something plain, I don't see why you just can't have pea gravel.

Happy substrate hunting! :)

RDavies
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 12:36 AM
It is a planted tank. Only just put water in last night, no fish for a while so I dont mind if it is cloady for a while. I have some river gravel in at the moment, but I wanted to top it up with something a bit lighter coloured. I will have a look at the ones you listed. Thanks.

Hollowman
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 08:55 AM
I would never recommend gravel.....

Too many places for uneaten food and waste to get trapped and rot, leading to lower water quality. Sand would be the way to go, waste sits on the top, so is easy to remove.

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:45 AM
I'm with Steve, all my discus are in bare bottom tanks, so much easier to clean, if you want to use substrate use a nice inert silica sand like pool filter sand or some of the ph inert silica black sands

troppo
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 03:27 AM
What about using gravel as a base layer and then putting a layer of sand over the top? Sort of like a cheapo version of and ADA setup?
Would it allow for water flow through the roots of your plants but the top would still be covered and protected by the sand which you could vacuum when needed?

dean_alicia
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 03:35 AM
the gravel will eventually come to the top..
i used silca pool sand in my 6ft lightly planted discus tank with drift wood.
the fish seem to happy and tank looks ok.
also as mentioned very easy to clean the waste.

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 05:25 AM
Sand is the way to go imo. It also allows for the food to sit on top of the substrate so the discus pick at it easily.

Its easy to clean and looks great.

Hollowman
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 08:46 AM
the gravel will eventually come to the top..
i used silca pool sand in my 6ft lightly planted discus tank with drift wood.
the fish seem to happy and tank looks ok.
also as mentioned very easy to clean the waste.

+1

lpiasente
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 09:21 AM
I have gravel but is very fine almost as fine as sand and all the left over food an pop sit on the top.

Hollowman
Fri Jan 08, 2010, 01:53 PM
I was always told that 'size matters' :P :P

troppo
Sat Jan 09, 2010, 04:43 AM
Won't sand become compacted and toxic eventually? Although from what I've read so far every substrate will breakdown/foul over time. I guess it comes down to which will last the longest versus what's easiest to work with discus?

Please excuse my questions. I'm only a wriggler! :)

lpiasente
Sat Jan 09, 2010, 05:04 AM
sand and very very fine gravel look fantastic but gosh I am always in the bloody tank cleaning up the poop. Black poop on white sand doesn't look so good and god don't these fish poop alot. :lol:

simmo2302
Sat Jan 09, 2010, 01:11 PM
tell me about it, even 2 week old fry poop heaps !!!

WhiteDevil
Thu Feb 04, 2010, 03:16 AM
Won't sand become compacted and toxic eventually? Although from what I've read so far every substrate will breakdown/foul over time. I guess it comes down to which will last the longest versus what's easiest to work with discus?

Please excuse my questions. I'm only a wriggler! :)

yes it will. happened to me and it wasnt a discus tank.

If its planted go with an ADA or eco complete, eco is jet black and makes the plants and fish stand out like they are meant to. you pay for it but drfoster and smith has the 5.99 or 6.99 flat rate and the 20# bags are 20 bucks 25# are 23 bucks. not a bad deal to be honest. Flourite comes in a few colors, I got regular because I like the reds greys and browns. It works great with plants, my root growth is amazing.

Hollowman
Thu Feb 04, 2010, 09:38 AM
yes it will. happened to me and it wasnt a discus tank.

Not always the case, so I will disagree. It all depends on what sort of tank you have. Planted, then you may have a problem due to not wanting to disturb the root systems of the plants. But careful maintenance will stop any problems.
In a bare/sand bottom tank, (where you only need to have an inch or so depth of sand) because you will be doing at least 2 water changes week, a thorough clean each change will not give you any anerobic areas at all. I have never suffered any problems ime.

:wink:
H

TW
Thu Feb 04, 2010, 11:43 AM
stiring the sand up at wc stops the anerobic problem happening. Trumpet snails are also meant to help, as does not having the sand very thick.

BigDaddyAdo
Fri Feb 05, 2010, 06:31 AM
I just run a wooden skewer through the sand every now and again. I have never had a problem.