PDA

View Full Version : Sexing Apistos

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:42 AM
At what age will i be able to sex my trifasciatas?

What should i look for?

Ado

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:43 AM
And when do i need to start worrying about aggression between the parents and offspring?

Hassles
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 11:36 AM
Ado

For the gendering of A.trifasciata you'll need to wait until degrees of maturity set in. Once this specie is maturue you'll find obvious dimorphisim. Males are larger with different finnage & colouration.

males have the anterior extentions where females do not and females have two black anterior dorsal membranes. The females will also lack the blue / azzure lustre of the males - to be brief.

HTH

Hassles
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 11:38 AM
Ado

For the gendering of A.trifasciata you'll need to wait until degrees of maturity set in. Once this specie is maturue you'll find obvious dimorphisim. Males are larger with different finnage & colouration.

males have the anterior extentions where females do not and females have two black anterior dorsal membranes. The females will also lack the blue / azzure lustre of the males - to be brief.

You may find some degrees of aggression at this point dependent upon the maturity of the new males, the attitude of the dominant male (father) and the size / complexity of the environment.

HTH

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 08:42 PM
I was hoping i could sex them at a younger age.

Hassles
Thu Oct 29, 2009, 10:14 PM
I was hoping i could sex them at a younger age.

If you're willing to put your nose to the glass for protracted periiods and observe the fish you will begin to notice the differences - especially when they flare. In fact this is the best method to educate yourself. Its pretty difficult and full of uncertainties at first but with more practice you'll get better and quicker at it. Some species are easy to gender and others are difficult with most Apistos falling somewhere in between these extremes. If you can afford the time I am sure you will begin to develop the skills.

When Apistos are still young and have not yet developed their finnage colouration it is more dificult to see the outlines of their fins. If you spot the fish in front of a dark object this is easier. I shall try to quote the Cichlid Atlas definintions in days to come.

later

Rod
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 01:33 AM
If you want to sex them earlier....grow them faster
keep them warm
the more water changes the better....
plenty of live food.... :wink:

gingerbeer01
Fri Oct 30, 2009, 01:34 AM
The first thing you will see is the females black on the pelvic fins. Should be able to pick up from about 1 - 1.5 cm size.

BigDaddyAdo
Thu Dec 10, 2009, 11:40 AM
The 2 from the first batch look to be a male and a female and are about due to be moved on to a new home if anyone is interested.