PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong with my plants?

chambo
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:08 AM
As you will see from the images of the state of my plants,
I have know idea what i am doing?

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:20 AM
Do you have loaches in the tank?

xrboy_85
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:29 AM
Hi chambo

I have been through a similar thing to this recentley. i would be checking your basic water parameters

KH
Iron
Phosphate

you don't want any phosphate if it can be helped (my understanding)
there needs to be iron present maybe 20ppm and also KH about 50ppm.

HTH Justin

chambo
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:29 AM
I have one.

The leaf damage in my mind is caused from the plant leaf breaking down.
the images probably dont help alot to convey my theory.

The plants them selves are not thriving, rather just surviving. I can provide water paramiters if required?

chambo
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:32 AM
Hi chambo

I have been through a similar thing to this recentley. i would be checking your basic water parameters

KH
Iron
Phosphate

you don't want any phosphate if it can be helped (my understanding)
there needs to be iron present maybe 20ppm and also KH about 50ppm.

HTH Justin

Ok,
I ran my water parameters of with my new Hagen test kit on Sunday night.
Will retest tonight and present my readings in the morning.

Thanks

LMAN
Tue Nov 17, 2009, 09:01 PM
Do you have glass shrimp in the tank as I had some in mine and my plant was eat like that.
Cheers

SLS
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 08:47 AM
Hey Guys,

Good chance there is a Bristlenose or similar in the tank eating your plants, and Yers the loach could quite possibly be doing the same. Feed them more Algae wafers, etc.. hehe

Dosing with ferts is a sure way to ensure your plants are getting the best basic care.

You could start with a basic fert containing Trace elements and Iron. ie Sera Florena, ADA Step 3 also contains Potassium as well.

Potassium will enable your plants to uptake more nutrient.

Remember:
Macro Nutrients are NPK - Nitrogen Phosphorus Potassium.
Micro Nutrients are Trace elements Including and plus extra Iron (Fe).

Kind regards,
George

ILLUSN
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 12:18 PM
growth of both green spot and diatoms in the perifilm on the leaves in the photos tells me that your nutirent level is fine maybe a little high for your levels of light and CO2 I wouln'd be adding any nutrients into that system with the exception of Carbon (either CO2 or florish Excell)

chambo
Sun Nov 29, 2009, 09:50 PM
I think the algea spore growth was the main culprit in the leaves breaking down?

I have started alternating the plants on their drift wood through my bristlenose tanks and the BN's have been eating about 90% of the spaws off. As such the plats are looking better for it

kerryhomes
Thu Apr 21, 2011, 04:44 PM
According to my knowledge and idea the plants which have the unique idea about the wrong plants . The other, which is the Black Magic, is only producing leaves from about 2"-6". There are quite a few leaves but it is only getting about 18" tall so far.I'm curious to see responses to your post as I'm trying a Black plant .i want to see that any thing best possible way to solve this problem ,

rogerowen
Wed Apr 27, 2011, 02:30 PM
By seeing second picture I released that there is more quantity of bacteria or algae in the water.If you want to destroy the algae then use algea destroyer.You have also check the pH of water.