PDA

View Full Version : Show dogs exposed

mcloughlin2
Mon Oct 26, 2009, 02:19 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcUayY0LXQA

This is the 1st of 5 videos

This i disgraceful - Show breeders have alot to say. The whole story about breeding responsibly by registering dogs etc no longer cuts it in my opinion. Breeders need to realise that the dogs within 'pure' breed are related now and the only way to get around these problems is via outcrossing to other breeds. Culling, selective breeding etc only hide the genetic faults.

xrboy_85
Mon Oct 26, 2009, 04:07 AM
Totally with you here mcgloughlin.
when i saw this on tv i couldn't believe it, people who were breeding for a living and the like who just could not deal with the reality that they should not be breeding, i think this is the problem with the world atm. people can't take reponsibility for their own actions someone always has to take blame.

ahhhhh that feels better

Mr Wild
Mon Oct 26, 2009, 06:17 AM
Oh boy I watched all 5 and I am disgusted. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we own 3 dogs and we will make sure this will not happen with ours or their offspring should we decide to breed.

Absolutely appalling.

rwel4809
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 04:09 AM
I watched all 5 too. It is very moving. I was considering getting a Cavalier but now that I have seen this I don't think that I could get one in good conscience.

ILLUSN
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 05:35 AM
I have a Cavaleir and she has so many congenenital defects it isn't funny, bent spine bad knee caps eyes roll in brain too big for skull (does the scratch thing for no reason) her names Bella but I call her "Retard" she doesn't seem mind.

She's an adorable dog, she's fixed cause i wouldn't breed from her, but despite the defects they are fantastic dogs in terms of temprement and affection.

it is a pity that the breed is in such terrible shape but if you could get some responsible breeders in to start crossing with similar spanials to get better genes the breed can be saved. if your thinking of one maybe you could start to help fix the trend.

jesx57
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 06:40 AM
I just watched the first one. Absolutely disgusting. That poor German Shepherd couldn't even walk properly, yet it came out best of the breed at Crufts. Just rubbish. Still makes me think that for a good all rounder dog with no ailments bred into them, you just can't go past the good ol mixed breed mutt.

BigDaddyAdo
Tue Oct 27, 2009, 10:10 AM
I have a Cavalier and she is fine. No health issues whatsoever. I think that their are still responsible breeders out there that are actively trying to breed healthier dogs but they are few and far between.

Squid
Thu Nov 05, 2009, 05:56 PM
Have a look at the discus in your LFS, and I think you'll find its not only dog breeders who are killing the breeds. Why else would I have Asian breeders trying to obtain some 80's turq lines that i have kept going? Body shapes, finnage deformaties, elongation and dwarfism in most fish I've seen lately. The discus I saw in Los Angeles last month were attrocious. All results of idiots line breeding and not understanding genetics. I reckon theres about 10 years of genetic stock left in most discus strains. I had to go back and create turks just like Wattley did.

Robdog
Fri Nov 06, 2009, 01:25 PM
Any idea if the situation is as dire in Australia in regards to dogs

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 06, 2009, 10:38 PM
its not great, most breeds over here are drived from a very small gene pool.

lpiasente
Sat Nov 07, 2009, 10:06 PM
so sad. it mad me mad that the breeder still allowed her dog to sire 26 litters of puppies even after she knew he had that horrid disease. She should really be charged with animal cruelty. They say thay love their animals but it seems the they the bucks more.

Robdog
Sun Nov 08, 2009, 01:53 AM
I agree. Seems like a bit of a God complex with a lot of breeders.
I wanted to take to those old ladies with a baseball bat.

lpiasente
Sun Nov 08, 2009, 10:04 AM
I wanted to take to those old ladies with a baseball bat.[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: