PDA

View Full Version : I have Fry!!!!

simmo2302
Fri Oct 23, 2009, 11:12 AM
oh my GOD !!!!!!!

after about 10 failed attempts, i have fry !!

after most of the eggs went white and fuzzy again... i thought all was lost. but then i saw a few eggs that they left.

the next day they were getting black tips, and i thought they wrere rotting, the day after a white strand appeared out the back, i though oh, hair algae is not growing in the tank again.. now off the rotting eggs.

today i noticed they were fry!! the black was their bellies, the thin strand is their tail forming, and they have eyes !!!.

they are still clinging onto the breeding cone.

i had a 700L/hr internal filter going, but i noticed the little bugger were getting bashed around a bit and were having a hard time staying on the wall of the breeding cane.

so i took out the power filter, emptied the filter wool and sponge out of it, and put the media into an old fashined air powered 'box filter'.

i hope they will leave the breeding cone soon and seek out the parents.

i have also removed the female turk ( i culled the male turk recently - too sick, would neva recover fully, kept going backwards) and have put her in a seperate tank as she causes too much stress to the mother of the babies (the red marlborough female)

but...

wat to do now? do i leave the light on 24/7? so the fry can find their parents (its a 1x 30w plant bulb to suit the 3ft tank they r in).

i m in county hick town, with a poorly stocked LFS, do i start trying to get some baby food going?

the only thing around would be frozen baby brine shrimp.

lol i feel like a new parent again and m panickin like crazy !!

Mr Wild
Fri Oct 23, 2009, 12:46 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

I leave a small light on at night not the overhead one even a lamp next to the tank will be fine it does not have to shime in brightly, I try and mimic moon light I figure that is what they get outdoors!

Baby Brine Shrimp is the ticket better get a few practise goes in!

Hollowman
Fri Oct 23, 2009, 03:37 PM
Cool!!

As mr wild says, baby brine shrimp can be hatched easily and fed towards the end of the first week free swimming. You can mail order eggs.

Good luck :wink:

simmo2302
Fri Oct 23, 2009, 07:42 PM
cool, i'll have to research how to get them and hatch them. :)

xrboy_85
Fri Oct 23, 2009, 10:23 PM
Nice work simmo

Good to see things are looking up!!

J

simmo2302
Sun Oct 25, 2009, 08:40 AM
well i had to go away for the weekend, the missus's grandfather turned 70.

so left saturday morning 6am, 5 wrigglers, fed the 2 adults & fed the turk i transferred to another tank (incase she was going to eat any wrigglers)

i came back sunday arvo 4pm and there were only 2 wrigglers ! :-( couldnt find any bodies.

came back 1 hr later. 1 wriggler !.....not happy.

i think it may b the mother eating them as she is looking like she wants to spawn again. the male is very attentitive (and is partially blind in 1 eye, so cant really pick at anything accurately).

how long are the first stages of life in discus?

spawn -> egg hatch

tiny baby -> wriggler w/ visible eyes

wriggler leaves cone to go to parents side.

etc

the reason i m asking is cos the remainder wrigglers (well wriggler now) are still hugging the breeding cone.

there is atleast 1 parent nearby (within about 5cms approx) of the breeding cone. i cant see any wrigglers at the parents side.

i m worried that the wrigglers cant find their parents or wont leave the cone and r starving, if they r not getting eaten first.

Mr Wild
Sun Oct 25, 2009, 11:01 AM
Here is a timeline I printed out from the net last time mine spawned:

Timeline can vary by temperature and maybe other factors.

Here's my last spawn - 29 gallon tank - GH 6 - pH 7.6 - temp 82F

Day 1, Eggs laid laid, fertilized ones turn dark about 24+ hours later - hatched about 55 hours later

Day 3, Wrigglers, (Mom removed - leaving for new home)

Day 5, Freeswimming (counted as day born)

Day 12, Eating BBS (one week old)

Day 18, Picking at CBW (nearly 2 weeks old)

Day 23, still w/dad eating BBS, CBW

Day 25, eating CBW (nearly 3 weeks old)

Day 26, moved dad (3 weeks old)

Day 32, moved babies to 55 gallon (4 weeks old)

HTH

simmo2302
Mon Oct 26, 2009, 08:50 AM
cool thanx. well the final wriggler became a tasty meal. :-(

mother has spawned again, about 60+ eggs approx.\

am going to figure out a way to make a better tank divider than the one i got so i can seperate one of the parents. will try removing mum this spawn. and if still get eaten will remove dad nexttime.

i guess its all trial and error