PDA

View Full Version : What Apistos Where ?

Hassles
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 05:00 PM
What Apistos Where ?

Perhaps we can start a thread to notify other forums members of where we have seen Apistogrammas available.

October 13th. This week in Melbourne I have seen the following Apistos...

A.trifasciata rio gupore, A.hongsloi, A.macmasteri (breeding pair), A.juruensis, A.trifasciata maciliensis and A.cacatuoides at Blackburn Aquarium. They also have kribensis subocelatus and some Rams

A.macmasteri, A.juruensis, A.hongsloi at All Aquarium in Mulgrave. They also have kribensis pulcher

Sime76
Thu Oct 15, 2009, 01:58 AM
Last Saturday 10th Oct

St kilda Aquarium
A.trifasciata pair
A.nijsseni - german bread breeding pair
A.hongsloi pair

There was also a viejita breeding pair but they came home with me :)

Hassles
Tue Nov 10, 2009, 09:19 AM
Today I was in formed that Bayfish have A.nijsseni, 3 varients of A.agassizi (blue-tale / red rail / super-red,) 2 varients of A.viejita, A.hippolytae, A.panduro and some others

Hassles
Thu Apr 29, 2010, 09:01 AM
Blackburn Aquarium (Melbourne) as of yesterday April 28th - has A.cacatuoides blue, A.bitaeniata, A.trifasciata, A.macmasteri along with Pelviochromis suboscelatus and dicrosus filamentosus

steph
Fri Apr 30, 2010, 12:41 AM
Hey Hassles,

what did the blue cac's look like ? I confess, Ive never kept A. cacatoides :) :shock:

Cheers

Steph

Hassles
Fri Apr 30, 2010, 04:26 AM
Hey Hassles,

what did the blue cac's look like ? I confess, Ive never kept A. cacatoides :) :shock:

Cheers

Steph

Firstly the fish were not overly large but they did appear somewhat under coloured to my thinking. This is often the cae when fish are kept in denuded tanks eg: bare bottom. IF I had enough tank space to satisfy myself I would have given them a home just to see for myself.

If you want some triple reds I have some I want / need gone. You just need the tank.

take care

kristina
Mon May 03, 2010, 04:48 AM
blue cacs? are they actually blue? I've seen orange and I've seen the reds, but blue...? A better description is needed thanks Hassles.

gingerbeer01
Mon May 03, 2010, 05:38 AM
It is a closer to wild coloration. Have a look here:

http://forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=9945

Steve

carmy
Sat May 08, 2010, 11:31 AM
hey,

i have actually ordered in some of the blue cacs at my work as i was also curious and was quite disappointed in their appearance, they sort of look like triple red crosses? they are quite nice but not blue at all.

i also got a pair of borellii in for myself and the male came in with a nasty injury on his side and died the next day, the female is perfect but now have my mind set on trifasciata and also don't was to order another male of them (bayfish) so...if anyone is interested in a nice lil female borellii she is at petstock braeside waiting for a new home lol oh and the "blue" cac's haha they are nice but not quite what they are meant to be lol i will try take my camera in tomoz and take a pic of them so you can see.

carmy

carmy
Sat May 08, 2010, 11:35 AM
forgot to mention, my other work "all aquariums" also has a few different types atm to, the only one i can remember rite now is "blue face" i will have a look next time i'm there and post it up

carmy

carmy
Sun May 09, 2010, 12:11 PM
So this is the "cacatuoides blue" that came in to my work????

gingerbeer01
Sun May 09, 2010, 08:53 PM
That is just a quite poor cacatoides - not blue at all ......... stll at least they sent the right species.

steph
Sun May 09, 2010, 11:46 PM
reading through my cichlid books last night - i was quite excited when i got to A. atahualpa and it was saying these are a cacatoides type fish, and in a moment of wishful thinking i was wondering if somehow the blue cac's were really atahualpa .. but seeing the pics above thats definately not the case.

a lovely if feisty fish I havent heard anyone talk about for a long time.. :(

Steph

carmy
Mon May 10, 2010, 02:28 AM
yes, i was quite annoyed when it came in! i'm not goin to order anything off them again and just stick to local breeders lol

steph
Mon May 10, 2010, 03:38 AM
Hi Carmy

Would you mind telling us who you work for ?

Cheers

Steph

BigDaddyAdo
Mon May 10, 2010, 06:55 AM
Petstock Braeside

Hassles
Mon May 10, 2010, 11:18 AM
So this is the "cacatuoides blue" that came in to my work????

G'day Carmy

how big is this fish ? cacatuoides don't 'usually' exhibit blue on their fins and if this fish isn't overly mature it may change a little. The image is pretty much the same as the cac blue I have seen locally and I suspect these fish came from the same source. We really won't know what this fish is going to look like until it matures and then the environment in which it resides will also impact upon its appearance. IF worse comes to worse and the fish doesn't develop any significant colouration you can simply cross it with the cacatuoides you have to establish another strain.

As a rule, some of the finest Apistogramma available to us here in Australia have come from Glaser Aquarium in Germany and Bayfish have the importation rights. Until quite recently, I wasn't interested in any Apistogramma that wasn't "German Bred" from Glaser.

Other independent importers have of late been importing some interesting Apistogramma and of those I have seen all appear good enough to establish a breeding colony with and I myself have purchased a number.

take care

Hassles
Mon May 10, 2010, 11:25 AM
reading through my cichlid books last night - i was quite excited when i got to A. atahualpa and it was saying these are a cacatoides type fish, and in a moment of wishful thinking i was wondering if somehow the blue cac's were really atahualpa .. but seeing the pics above thats definately not the case.

a lovely if feisty fish I havent heard anyone talk about for a long time.. :(

Steph

G'day Steph

Apistogramma atahaulpa has been on my wanted list for some time. I have seen this fish on the Glaser catalogue a time or two but failed in my attempts to secure some. I did managed to get some A.resticulosa into the country buy they were all destroyed in quarantine. Fortunately the A.huascar survived :wink:

Hassles
Mon May 10, 2010, 11:36 AM
blue cacs? are they actually blue? I've seen orange and I've seen the reds, but blue...? A better description is needed thanks Hassles.

There exists a number of strains of cacatuoides with the regular varient, the double reds and the triple reds being most common. Occasionally an aquarist will notice a fish that possess a perculiar colouration, most uncommon, and choose to breed with this. This activity had produced "other" strains and I have seen images of some very pretty fish.

I have bred plenty of cacatuoides and when growing them all to maturity I have always noticed one, maybe two fish, that stand out from the others. Its not always colouration, sometimes it is a distinctly beautiful finnage thats catches my eye. These are the fish you continue to breed with. I am however no longer continuing to breed this specie and the last few pairs of my colony are being sold. Why ? to make room for other species, species that are less common, more rewarding (difficult) and more difficult to acquire.

take care

Hassles
Mon May 10, 2010, 12:47 PM
A little birdy tells me that Bayfish are sourcing A.bitaeniata, A.alacrina and A.iniridae from Glaser this week - get in early.

carmy
Tue May 11, 2010, 12:48 AM
Hey steph, big daddy is on the money...petstock braeside it is, and i also work at All aquariums in mulgrave just off police road.

and Glenn the cac is almost the same size as the one i got off you, but with the whole blue thing...my original tripple red i got from all aquariums has more blue than the cac blue at my work lol did you see the pics i posted at apistogramma.com? He is really starting to colour up nicely

Carmy

briztoon
Fri May 14, 2010, 07:20 AM
Hey guys,

Just back from another visit to Fishchick Aquatics. Yeah I know, I seem to live there.

For anyone interested there is a very nice pair of A. trifasciata in the small display tanks in the centre of the "apisto room".

However the standout fish at the moment have to be the second imported batch of A. agassizii "Alenquer". The males from this second shipment are stunning, with a lot of red in thier unpaired fins. The shipment is very male heavy, so females for pairs/trios will be at a premium. If anyone is interested, make sure you specify you want fish from the second shipment, as there are now "Alenquer" from a third shipment in store as well.

Hassles
Fri May 14, 2010, 10:25 AM
All Aquariums in Mulgrave, (Melbourne's East) as of today have A.caetei, A.macmasteri, A.cacatuoides triple-reds & A.cacatuoides blue and A.alacrina.

The triple reds are the last of my colony.

briztoon
Tue May 18, 2010, 07:50 AM
Well I visited my home away from home today (Fishchicks) and noticed there was a tank full of Iniridae. Some very nice large males, 6cm - 7cm amongst the lot.

gingerbeer01
Tue May 18, 2010, 09:45 AM
Bloody Hell Pete - It's OK to tell them about the apistogramoides, and all the endless aggies - I don't want them, but the irindae have got my interest.

Couldn't get them on the weekend as the wife was there and I was meant to be getting angels.

Gotta wait till next month now - Anyhow nice males - but I couldn;t see any females - but there should be some.... bought as pairs apparantly.

briztoon
Tue May 18, 2010, 10:07 AM
Bloody **** Pete - It's OK to tell them about the apistogramoides, and all the endless aggies - I don't want them, but the irindae have got my interest.

Couldn't get them on the weekend as the wife was there and I was meant to be getting angels.

Gotta wait till next month now - Anyhow nice males - but I couldn;t see any females - but there should be some.... bought as pairs apparantly.

Sorry Steve. I didn't know you were after a pair. I think we're going to have to start pm'ing each other about which species we can and can't mention. :wink:

I know one definate m & f pair has been sold. And no it wasn't to me. But yeah, certainly looked like a lot of males. And that was one of Jodi-Lea's gripes today. She tries to order all apistogramma species in as "pairs", but some batches, such as the second lot of agassizii "Alenquer", come in very male heavy, while other batches come in female heavy.

gingerbeer01
Tue May 18, 2010, 10:24 AM
It's all good - the more Apisto's everyone buys - the more Jodi gets - and we get first pick :D .

Rod
Tue May 18, 2010, 10:25 AM
I was there today.....I saw at least a couple of females....nice looking fish
On second thought.....no they must have been all males.... :roll: :wink:

steph
Tue May 18, 2010, 12:09 PM
Its a good thing I dont live in Brissie, I reckon I would be broke by now and Jodi would be a millionaire ;)

S.

PS: bought any flametails yet Pete ?

Hassles
Tue May 18, 2010, 01:21 PM
Bloody **** Pete - It's OK to tell them about the apistogramoides, and all the endless aggies - I don't want them, but the irindae have got my interest.

'bout time you built the wife her own fishroom so can do as you as you please in your own. hmm, having said that, any more tanks and I'm divorced heh heh heh :wink:

gingerbeer01
Wed May 19, 2010, 11:57 PM

'bout time you built the wife her own fishroom so can do as you as you please in your own. hmm, having said that, any more tanks and I'm divorced heh heh heh :wink:

I think a Mistress might work better. The wife can then believe I am with the mistress, the mistress believe I am with the wife, meanwhile I get to poke around in the fish room or go to the fish stores in peace..... Just an idea.

Hassles
Wed Jul 21, 2010, 06:05 AM
Blackburn Aquarium (Melbourne's Eastern suburbs) as of yesterday had A.viejita, A.macmasteri, A.bitaeniata, A.cacatuoides sunburst, A.agassizi red tail, A.trifasciata gupore red, I took their A.alacrina and A.iniridae which they'd sourced for me :-)))

Rod
Wed Jul 21, 2010, 10:27 AM
A.alacrina.....mmmmm

2 pair Please....no hurry....when you're ready let me know!

Vspec
Wed Jul 21, 2010, 12:12 PM
:) , you guys are a hoot.

El Zilcho
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 05:01 AM
Bought a pair of A. macmasteri from Blackburn Aquarium yesterday. Didnt even know it was there till it was mentioned in this thread!

Hassles
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 05:31 AM
They just (yesterday) had their macmasteri spawn 8-)

El Zilcho
Sat Aug 07, 2010, 05:47 AM
Hopefully they will do likewise for me, its my first attempt at keeping an Apisto pair.

Hassles
Sun Aug 08, 2010, 12:22 PM
A.alacrina.....mmmmm

2 pair Please....no hurry....when you're ready let me know!

well if you're lucky Santa might bring you some - the alacrina female emerged today with her brood :D They might have grown enough by xmas :wink:

Temp 26.4
Ph: 6.8 - 7 (Eco Complete substrate)
GH: 3 = 60mgL - 3.36Dgh
KH: 2 = 40= 2.24Dgh

take care

Hassles
Sun Aug 08, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hopefully they will do likewise for me, its my first attempt at keeping an Apisto pair.

Well they are a good Apisto to start with but I hope your tank is large enough or you'll have to rehouse the male. A.macmasteri ain't a small Apisto. They are however popular :)

Take care and have fun.

El Zilcho
Sun Aug 08, 2010, 11:46 PM
Hmmm, tank isnt very big (~60L) but is very denslely packed with sticks, plants and moss. Ill keep an eye on them, can seperate if nessecary!

Hassles
Wed Aug 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
Glaser have these and Bayfish 'may' obtain them for you. Harrass the manager of your LFS to order them in. I can vouce for the alacrina :-)

best of luck

Apistogramma agassizi RED TAIL

Apisto.agassizi DOUBLE RED

Apisto.agassizi FIRE-RED g.br.

Apistogramma alacrina wild

Apistogramma alacrina eu.br.

Apisto.bitaeniata kleei wild

Ap.bitaeniata YELLOW NAPO wild

Apistogramma cacatuoides wild

Apist.caca.3-fach ORANGE g.br.

Apisto.cacatuoides DOUBLE RED

Apisto.cacatuoides DOUBLE RED

Apisto.cacat.3-fach RED g.br.

Apistogramma hongsloi/RED LINE

Apisto.hongsloi/FARBF.ll g.br.

Apistogramma iniridae wild

Apistogramma juruense wild

Apistogramma nijsseni g.br.

Apistogramma panduro wild

Apistogramma panduro g.br.

Apistogr.sp.PERU "MASKEN" wild

Apistogr.sp.PERU "MASKEN" wild

Apisto.baenschi (INKA I) g.br.

Apisto.steindachneri g.br.

Apisto.viejita FARBFORM II

Apisto.borellii OPAL g.br.

Pelvic.taeniatus DEHANE g.br.

Pelvic.taeniatus KIENKE g.br.

Pelvic.taeniatus LOBE g.br.

Pelv.taeniat.NIGERIA RED g.br.

El Zilcho
Wed Aug 11, 2010, 11:34 PM
Subscape's Apisto tanks are looking a bit empty at the moment... hopefully they will get some of the above!

Hassles
Thu Aug 12, 2010, 11:06 AM
Subscape's Apisto tanks are looking a bit empty at the moment... hopefully they will get some of the above!

well now we know you're in Melbourne! Subscape source their Apistos from places other than Bayfish (apparently). I need to go in and speak with Justin.

El Zilcho
Thu Aug 12, 2010, 11:57 PM
Oh yep in in Melbourne... have posted an intro thread and updated the profile now!

Subscape have had those wild caught flag cichlids for ages now...

Hassles
Thu Feb 17, 2011, 08:34 AM
I was in Subscape (Richmond, Melbourne) this afternoon and found myself resisting a lovely pair of A. viejita. They also had a trio of A. panduro

Hassles
Tue Feb 22, 2011, 12:08 PM
At Blackburn Aquarium as of yesterday (February 21st)

A.agassizi 'double red'
A.borelli
A.cacatuoides 'double red'
A.cacatuoides 'sunburst'
A.cacatuoides 'orange-flash'
A.macmasteri

and...a couple of West African dwarfs - subocelatus and taeniatus

and...dicrossus filamentosis