PDA

View Full Version : Just not eating, advice needed please.

aquafrogstuff
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
I noticed one of my smaller discus in my 6ft planted tank had become very subdued and hid most of the time. When the rest of the discus were feeding (like little piggies I should add), this one hid beneath some driftwood. I decided to quarantine it for closer observation. It’s definitely emaciated and despite putting small quantities of various foods (discus granules, live bloodworm, beefheart, frozen bloodworm) in the quarantine tank at different times, it won’t touch any of it. From various posts, I’m suspecting it may have worms, but I’m not sure how to go about treating this, particularly if it’s not eating anything. Perhaps I need to try a few other things to reach a more conclusive result before treatment. Your thoughts??? Don’t want to lose this little guy.

Mr Wild
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:08 AM
Could be a number of things from being bullied to sickness. have you noticed any poops at all, colour is important.
Any other visual signs fungus, ick anything obvious?
How long has he been on his own?

aquafrogstuff
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 10:46 PM
I noticed some poo when I first put him/her in, seemed normal in colour (i.e. not jelly like). There's no apparent fungus or white mucus on its sides, just looks thin. Fins in good condition. Youcan see from the photo, his dorsal fin is up and his colour has not darkened. He’s been in the quarantine tank since Friday last week. I haven’t seen it eat anything really. When food goes in, it just ignores it. Water in the quarantine tank has been siphoned from the main tank. Temp and all other params are the same.

xrboy_85
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 11:57 PM
Hey dwayne

Just a thought maybe a salt bath??, i use epsom salts and have done so twice when i have noticed any of mine not hungry. and that has fixed em right up.

Justin

Mr Wild
Tue Oct 13, 2009, 11:19 AM
Raise the temp to 30C - slowly! This should increase appeteite as it increases metabolism. Make sure you have plenty of air running in the tank. See if that improves him. You can add salt at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 40 litres. I should be non-iodized and free from anti caking agents, for safe use in the tank.

When you change the water add back only the salt you have taken out with the wc. Salt does not disipate into thin air. HTH

aquafrogstuff
Tue Oct 13, 2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks guys, I'll give the salt and temp increase a try today and see where we go.

BigDaddyAdo
Wed Oct 14, 2009, 02:03 AM
Try feeding some live black worms. No discus can resist them..... ;)

aquafrogstuff
Thu Oct 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
Live black worms were just ignored (see my original post (although I referred to them as blood worms)).

Little guy took a nasty turn last night. By 8pm this evening he had past the point of no return and was humanely culled.

Thanks for your help anyway.