PDA

View Full Version : Survival of the fittest

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 06:22 AM
I thought that all of the last batch of Apistogramma Trifasciata fry had been eaten by the Gobies when the mother and father started spawning behaviour again. It would appear that at least one has survived and is looking great. I spotted him by accident. :)

I should start a poll on how long i will spend in front of the tank looking for him again and trying to find more.

:)

Ill put a little "RESERVED" sign on it for you Hassles.

AussieStar
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 06:52 AM
i say move the gobies.

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 07:53 AM
I have already moved the desert gobies but the bumblebees are staying for now.

gingerbeer01
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 08:11 AM
I once lost the mother of an apisto spawn in a 6 footer due to bloat - missed the early signs. Spawn were just free swimming too. Did the normal bit of swearing.

2 months later - my eldest goes what is this Dad - thinking I had snuck a new fish in the house. I mean the nerve - I would never........

Anyhow when we had a good luck found 1/2 dozen babes in there. I didn't have any proven fry hunters in ther so they got around somehow.

Steve

BigDaddyAdo
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 08:18 AM
The way i figure it, the ones that survive are the strongest, fastest and probably the luckiest so it will mean better quality stock in the long run. Im doing it for fun not profit. ;)

Robdog
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 08:47 AM
The way i figure it, the ones that survive are the strongest, fastest and probably the luckiest so it will mean better quality stock in the long run.

Ditto. It obviously had the strongest survival instinct to evade predation for that long so hopefully the other instincts are equally finely tuned. Good signs for breeding stock I reckon. Let nature do the culling :thumb