PDA

View Full Version : "True" Siamese Algae Eaters

Barracuda
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 07:43 AM
Hi

I have a problem with black bush/beard algae in my tank, and am after some fish that will be able to eat it.

I have heard that SAE will do the job - however I know there are many varieties/similar species, eg flying foxes. What ways can you tell if the fish is a "true" SAE - the ones that actually eat the BBA?

Also, do the "true" ones eat plants? Are they peaceful? Should they be kept in groups, pairs or singularly?

Do you know of any LFS in Sydney that sell them? I went around to 5 fish shops today and could not find any.

Thanks in advance

BigDaddyAdo
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 08:00 AM
Auburn Aquarium always has them.

Barracuda
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks, I will have to check them out

Noddy65
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Barracuda
Try this link
http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/

However SAG will only really eat BBA when the fish are young and when they dont have anything else to eat...there really is no easy way to get rid of it.
Try double dosing with Aquagreen Dino Spit or Flourish Excell (do a Google search for correct doses).
Some believe that BBA grwos when CO2 is out of wack...or when any other nutrient is out of wack however if you just want to control it then the overdosing as outlines above will work....
The overdosing may kill certain plants though...mostly vallis but may affect others...if you just have anubias, crypts, swords (and other tough plants) etc then it SHOULD be fine

Mike

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
mike is correct big old sae wont touch bba, florish excell, hydrogen peroxide or uping your cor will get rid of it.

Barracuda
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys
Im a bit worried about double dosing with excel, I recall reading on this forum that someone killed their breeding pair of geos with a double dose - is that right? It was a while ago now.
Thats a shame that old SAE's dont eat it - they must get lazy as they get older! :D

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
mat had trouble with a double dose, if you wan a cheep fix you'll have to get dirty, trim off all old/badly affected leaves, remove all ornaments and filter parts covered with bba and toss into a large bucket, 1/2 fill the bucket with water and add a 100ml bottle of 6% hydrogen peroxide and leave in the dark for a couple of hours.

scrub down the sides with a scourer and get all the bba off the glass.

after a 2-3hrs the stuff in the bucket just needs a rince and you can put it back in tank, any remaining bba will be pink in 24hrs and gone in 36.

you'll have to do this every 406 months to keep your tank bba free or put on a co2 system.

Barracuda
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 01:03 PM
my bba is not that bad, like it hasnt got on the glass or anything. all it is - just some black algae on 1 or 2 of my plants

ILLUSN
Sat Oct 10, 2009, 11:09 PM
if its just 1 or 2 plants just remove the affected bits to stop it spreading.

Hollowman
Sun Oct 11, 2009, 09:25 AM
you'll have to do this every 406 months to keep your tank bba free or put on a co2 system.

Wow!! thats every 33.83 months......or 2.81 years :lol: :lol:

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
LOL

ILLUSN
Sun Oct 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
:oops: 2-4 months :oops:

vanessa messig
Sat Apr 10, 2010, 02:03 AM
Hi everyone,

Do you think it is wise to add one or two 'True SAE' (Crossocheilus Siamensis) to the discus tank?
I have quite a bit of of BBA in my tank and am constantly trimming leaves, taking plants in and out of the tank to clean, it becomes annoying and the plants loose that natural growth look.

I would love to get some feedback as I am thinking of adding this fish to my tank.

Thanks,