PDA

View Full Version : discus stopped eating after WC

discusage
Fri Oct 09, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hi, I have a 4ft tank with 10 discus which are ok and eating well. I started feeding them heavily with home BH mix which they take well. After a week of feeding BH, did test, found nitrite 0 but ammo is 8. Did 60% WC which took ammo down to 0, nitite 0, temp 32. Since WC 3days ago, they stopped eating and all would stay in one corner. I need help pls.

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 09, 2009, 12:07 PM
Sounds like pH shock.

A big water change like that has probably increased the pH quite a lot.

How long ago was the last water change?

Try to keep your water changes to 30% once or twice a week.

If it's been a long time (say 3 or 4 weeks) since you did a water change, then small daily changes are the way to go. (around 10% daily and no more).

Most fish will cope with a slow change, over a period of days or weeks. It's the sudden change they can't cope with.

All you can do now is to add 1 teaspoon of pure cooking salt per 40 litres of water to help support them and keep your finger crossed.

Let us know how you get on.

discusage
Sun Oct 11, 2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that ph was 5.6 before the water change last 5 days ago. Today Sunday ph is 6.8 .

Thinking it was gill flukes (because some of them rub themselves against vertical canister filter tubes) I started treating them with Aqua Master Flukes and Tapeworm tablets. Is this harmful to them?

I will apply rocksalt today. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
pH increasing from 5.6 to 6.8 is quite a change, keeping in mind that on Friday when you did the water change it was probably higher again and has dropped over the last couple of days. Just keep supporting them with clean water, warmth and keep offering tasty foods.

Hmmmm I wouldn't recommend treating any already sick fish with worm medication (remember it's really a controlled dose of poison) but it's done now, so don't worry.

Rocksalt or cooking salt is the first thing I would reach for when fish are off colour and you're not absolutely sure of the cause.

simmo2302
Sun Oct 11, 2009, 12:05 PM
just a few things.

u got 10 discus in a 400L tank(less gravel & ornaments etc if applicable). isnt that over stocked ?

isnt one of the golden rules for discus is to have a water change tank in which to pre-heat & pre-PH adjust the water?

and beef heart mix pollutes the water very quickly, dont you siphon out the left overs ? rotting BH mix with quicky raise the ammonia in the tank.

what other foods do you feed the discus? try some blackworms, bloodworms, or brine shrimp.

discusage
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 10:49 AM
Today Monday (day 7 from WC) some started swimming out from the pack. The other 4 of them have really dark colour and not moving much. I noticed their fins to be damaged at the tips.

I gave them bloodworms which some took ok. This is the first time they ate in 7 days.

I know my tank is a bit overstocked and i will transfer some to another tank.

I feed them only BH and frozen bloodworms. Can i feed them gardenworms?

Can somebody tell me pls how much is the safe fluctuation in ph after a WC that won't harm discus? Also how often should i add salt? Aquarium salt or rock salt?

Thanks for the replies guys.

mcloughlin2
Mon Oct 12, 2009, 09:53 PM
Ideally there should be no fluctuation in pH after a water change. Thats why most discus keepers will pre-mix the water in a seperate container before topping up so parameters can be adjusted to suit.

simmo2302
Tue Oct 13, 2009, 05:22 AM
if the tips of the fins are ragged or damaged, i would be worried about fin rot. since their immune systems would have taken a beating.